Old 21-01-2003, 10:17 PM
Larry Caldwell

Default Fire Blight

I have a couple apple trees infected with fire blight. I want to prune
the diseased limbs off, and know I should disinfect my pruning tools to
keep from spreading the disease to healthy trees.

So what do I use to disinfect the tools? Paint thinner? I have a big
propane burner, but don't want to take the temper out of my tools or melt
fiberglass handles.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc
Old 21-01-2003, 10:37 PM
Mahsamatman

Bleach at 1/4 cup per gallon. If you cut into uninfected wood (which is the
only way to prune the disease out) you won't transmit fireblight with your
tools anyway. The bleach is a precaution in case you screw up and prune in
the wrong spot.

A 90% or more pure solution of alcohol will also work and is less corrosive.
Not always at hand, and flammable, though, so the bleach is the best bet.

Rinse and oil the tools when you're all done.

--
Sam

Old 21-01-2003, 11:23 PM
Rick

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003 22:17:57 GMT, Larry Caldwell
wrote:

I have a couple apple trees infected with fire blight. I want to prune
the diseased limbs off, and know I should disinfect my pruning tools to
keep from spreading the disease to healthy trees.

So what do I use to disinfect the tools? Paint thinner? I have a big
propane burner, but don't want to take the temper out of my tools or melt
fiberglass handles.

You'll get a lot of info he

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7414.html

Removing Diseased Wood
Eliminate fire blight infections by pruning out diseased branches.
Always cut an infected branch at least 8 to 12 inches below the
visible injury or canker. A greater distance below infections may be
required on major branches, scaffolds, or trunks in May or June, when
blight bacteria are moving rapidly. The appearance of new infections
below a pruning cut indicates that the cuts were not made far enough
below the infection and the bacteria had already spread past the
cutting point. If you cut into a canker or infected wood, disinfect
your tool, as described below, to avoid spreading the pathogen.

If a fire blight infection occurs on a trunk or major limb, the wood
can often be saved by scraping off the bark down to the cambium layer
in infected areas (i.e., removing both the outer and inner bark--see
figure). When scraping, look for the long narrow infections that may
extend beyond the margin of the canker or infection site. If any are
detected, remove all discolored tissue plus 6 to 8 inches more at its
front edge. If the limb has been girdled, scraping will not work and
the whole limb must be removed.

To avoid spreading bacteria during pruning, dip or spray the pruning
tool before each cut with a 10% solution of bleach (one part bleach to
nine parts water). Dry and oil tools after use to prevent rust.

Old 21-01-2003, 11:34 PM
Don Staples

Larry, the nursery folks down here use full strength alcohol, making sure to
clear off any debris on the blade as well.

Old 22-01-2003, 12:43 AM
Kelly E Jones

In article ,
Don Staples wrote:
Larry, the nursery folks down here use full strength alcohol, making sure to
clear off any debris on the blade as well.

Full-strength (100%) alcohol is not generally a good sanitizer; oddly
enough, a 70%-90% alcohol solution (with water) is better. 'Rubbing
alcohol' is usually a 70% isopropyl alcohol solution.

Kelly

Old 22-01-2003, 05:02 AM
Jan Flora

In article , Larry Caldwell
wrote:

I have a couple apple trees infected with fire blight. I want to prune
the diseased limbs off, and know I should disinfect my pruning tools to
keep from spreading the disease to healthy trees.

So what do I use to disinfect the tools? Paint thinner? I have a big
propane burner, but don't want to take the temper out of my tools or melt
fiberglass handles.

Use a strong bleach solution. Dip the tool between each cut. Burn the
prunings. Fire blight is a real PITA. Bees can spread it when they
pollinate, IIRC.

Okay, this is out of a Rodale gardening book: it's a bacterial disease, spread
by rain and insects into flowers, where it spreads throughout the tree.
.... Cut diseased branches 3-12" below infected area during dormant season
(depending on plant size).

Jan (a Master Gardener)
Old 23-01-2003, 04:52 AM
Treemonkey

To Whom it May Concern:
I came across your post it the newsgroups and figured I would help. I'm a
certified arborist in the rocky mountain region and a city licensed. Also I
am one of thirteen city employees that are Cert. arborist. But anyway there
are a few types of things you can use you can pour bleach and water mixed on
it takes a few to work when dry it's safe to trim or you can use rubbing
alcohol but the best and easiest is a good old can of LYSOL and spray
between each and every cut so that you do not move the fire blight
throughout the tree and also when you move on to a new tree. If you need
more info the International Society of Arboriculture is a great place to
lots of info on pruning and the proper ways to do it. Good Luck

Old 30-01-2003, 04:41 AM
JimiFromMI

According to Kains: "Five Acres and Independence":

" ...both the tool and the wound should be well sterilized by wiping with
a rag or a sponge kept wet with a solution of corrosive sublimate (mercuric
chloride) made by dissolving a tablet of the chemical in a pint of warm
water".

This stuff is corrosive (eats metal if left moist indefinitely) so mix in a
glass, wood or ceramic container. It is also poisonous and being that the
book was originally published in 1935, perhaps a more suitable treatment
exists today.

BR,

DVK

--
My off-topic statement:
US Doctors = No Accountability

Old 30-01-2003, 05:05 AM
JimiFromMI

I'm not sure why I didn't see the other responses at first, but Bleach has
my vote!

[...]

Fire Blight Treatment No Name Gardening 5 04-05-2010 01:55 PM
Fire Blight Treatment No Name Orchids 5 04-05-2010 01:55 PM
Question - Fire Blight Bullwinkle North Carolina 3 29-03-2005 12:02 AM
Question - Controlling fire blight Bullwinkle North Carolina 0 28-03-2005 02:00 PM
Blight report service(was How bad is tomato blight?) Steve Harris United Kingdom 4 04-05-2004 06:04 PM