Old 02-06-2003, 11:56 AM
Lee

Default I just want some grass ...

We had an allotment in a similar state and we strimmed the lot, burnt it all
then sprayed the place with a (forget the name) good root killing stuff.
Took a good 4 weekends (big plot) But we were able to start afresh the
following spring (done in the autumn)

My uncle suggested covering it with concrete and painting it green.......
thanks Bill..........

Good luck

Lee

"Simon Avery" wrote in message
"42_Mike" wrote:

Hello 42_Mike

M I would like to simply remove all the old plants, and so
M called grass, and lay new grass so I can simply run a
M lawnmower over it.
M Now I know the best way is to get a BobCat or small JCB in
M and remove the top inc plants, but the only access is via a
M small gate, and im sorry, but I don't fancy removing the old
M stuff by hand!

Where you gonna put the stuff? If not local, you've also got to figure
in some quite expensive landfill charges and a skip.

As for access, if there's a fence - remove it.

If not, then some hire companies (ie, Jewson Hirepoint) have lorries
with HIABs on, which might be agreeable to have a 1-tonne minidigger
or bobcat delivered and lifted over a wall, provided you can get the
lorry alongside it.

Also worth thinking about are narrow minidiggers. These can be made to
fit through a normal house door (24"? 28"?) so if you can find one of
them you're in.

M Is there a type of weed killer that I can pour over the
M plot, then I can remove the dead plants and old grass, I can
M then get someone in with a rotavator and level the land
M ready for the new grass.

If time is not a major issue, try covering the garden with black
polythene for six months or a year. Looks horrid, but works and won't
get you in trouble with the EA for poisoning water courses.