Old 02-06-2003, 03:44 PM
Doug Kanter

Default Keeping grass seed moist...

"Chuck" wrote in message
How important is it to keep grass seed moist during the first few days

after
putting it out. I'd like to go ahead and get some seed out in the next
couple of days, but I am going to be away for a few days this weekend and
don't want to kill the grass before it even has a chance to sprout. It

seems
to me that water is less important until the seeds actually germinate and
sprout. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

It's VERY important. Real garden centers sell rolls of burlap, and this is a
great way to keep the seed moist. Seed the area, cover with burlap. (I'm
assuming you're seeding small patches, obviously). The burlap collects the
sun's heat, keeps the seed moist, and provides a barrier so clumsy watering
or heavy rain won't wash the seed away. Hang it up, rinse it, and let it dry
thoroughly, and it'll last quite a few years.