Old 02-06-2003, 03:45 PM
Marty Haber

Default [IBC] winter hardiness

This past winter has taught us about the vagaries of our "zones of hardiness". The zone chart only tells us what to expect as the average lows; not the absolute lows.
Those of us who have been dabbling with marginal trees have learned that lesson the hard way this year. One of my most prized specimens, a Chinese holly, which I've grown as an espalier for 20 years, was lost. It's neighbor of the same species, which had
the protection of a north wall, survived without the loss of a single branch. This experience taught me what marginality really means.
Marty

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++