Old 02-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Victor M. Martinez

Default Bio-spira report, Day 6

LeighMo wrote:
No way, Jose. If it's a high tech planted tank, I'd use Chuck's method.

How many new hobbists do you think would go that way? Not many I guess.

Otherwise, I'd use fishless cycling, preferably spiked with mulm from an
established tank. You can have the tank fully cycled in under a week. To the
point where you can add the full fish load all at once.

Fishless cycling doesn't take a week, at least not according to all the
sources I've seen, it takes at least 2 weeks. Again, that's two weeks more
than what Biospira promises and that so far, has proven true for me.

doesn't have established tanks. But I just don't see any point in spending
money for this stuff if you have an established tank to provide bacteria. And

Again, nobody is forcing you to spend money. Why are you so concerned about
how I spend my money?

I'm saying so here, just like you're saying the opposite. I know I'm not going
to convince you, but you and I aren't the only people reading this thread.

And I'm not trying to convince anybody about anything. I am merely reporting
the successes I've observed using this product. Folks out there are free to
make their own choices, regardless of what you and I say.

And while anecdotal evidence is interesting, in this particular case, it
doesn't mean anything.

It sure does. It means that for me, biospira has worked as advertised. It means
that if I ever start a new tank, I might forgo the work of moving plants and
mulm and just use this product. It means that if somebody asks me about it,
I will recommend it saying it has worked for me in the past.

people said it was great, others said it was worse than useless. I think the
scientific evidence on Cycle is now pretty strongly pointing to the "useless"
side of the scale, yet people still buy it and claim it works.

Actually, I have yet to see any scientific evidence on Cycle's effectiveness
(or ineffectiveness). All there is is a lot of anecdotal evidence, which
according to you doesn't mean anything.

Keep measuring. The people who reported trouble didn't have problems until
about the two week point.

I will, and I will keep posting my resutls. I am done, however, arguing with
you. I am surpised at your attitude, you've always seemed to be helpful and
not bent on pursuing your dogmas and spreading the One and Only Truth.

Cheers.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv