Old 02-06-2003, 08:32 PM
GD ZK

Default Winter Kill report--Montreal

As some of you may know Montreal has experienced one of its hurshest
winters with temperatures dropping to -28 and -30 Celsius. On top, I
leave next to the lake front (Pointe-Claire strong with strong wind
chill factor.

I planted many roses over the past 2 years (close to 50 kinds) and
attempted, of course, to concentrate on Winter Hardy ones. Still, I
took some chances...

I decided NOT to winter protexct them, and act on "survival of the
fittest" principle. I did mulch each sensitive rose approx. 6"-10"
high.

I lost completely only one rose: Coral Dawn.

I was surprised to have complete Winter Kill above snow-accummulation
level on my Viking Queen climbers and Sea-Foam hedge, Jacques Cartier,
even though they were safe below this level.

I was, however, encouraged to have the following, suspect to perish,
survive below snow and/or below mulch level:

White Dawn, Rosa Mouchata Plena (a species rose predicated here last
year by another member to not Survive Montreal's Winter; Remember
that normal winters are slightly warmer than our last), Isphahan,
Autumn (4 season-) Damascus

Then to my delight, a whole bunch of roses that had not flowered their
first year, are already covered with buds, soon to explode onto a
color celebration. Those include my two year old Austrian Copper
(bicolora, yellow & orange), Hazeldean (forgotten Canadian
development, yellow), Rosa Carolina (species), Rosa Primula (species,
yellow). As well, many other first year plantees have already buds:
Prairie Blush, Suzanne (older Canadian experiment pink), Agnes (older
Canadian experiment-yellow) and others.

It will be a feast to the eye in a couple of weeks!