Old 02-06-2003, 08:32 PM
GD ZK

Default Winter Kill report--Montreal

As some of you may know Montreal has experienced one of its hurshest
winters with temperatures dropping to -28 and -30 Celsius. On top, I
leave next to the lake front (Pointe-Claire strong with strong wind
chill factor.

I planted many roses over the past 2 years (close to 50 kinds) and
attempted, of course, to concentrate on Winter Hardy ones. Still, I
took some chances...

I decided NOT to winter protexct them, and act on "survival of the
fittest" principle. I did mulch each sensitive rose approx. 6"-10"
high.

I lost completely only one rose: Coral Dawn.

I was surprised to have complete Winter Kill above snow-accummulation
level on my Viking Queen climbers and Sea-Foam hedge, Jacques Cartier,
even though they were safe below this level.

I was, however, encouraged to have the following, suspect to perish,
survive below snow and/or below mulch level:

White Dawn, Rosa Mouchata Plena (a species rose predicated here last
year by another member to not Survive Montreal's Winter; Remember
that normal winters are slightly warmer than our last), Isphahan,
Autumn (4 season-) Damascus

Then to my delight, a whole bunch of roses that had not flowered their
first year, are already covered with buds, soon to explode onto a
color celebration. Those include my two year old Austrian Copper
(bicolora, yellow & orange), Hazeldean (forgotten Canadian
development, yellow), Rosa Carolina (species), Rosa Primula (species,
yellow). As well, many other first year plantees have already buds:
Prairie Blush, Suzanne (older Canadian experiment pink), Agnes (older
Canadian experiment-yellow) and others.

It will be a feast to the eye in a couple of weeks!

Old 07-06-2003, 05:20 PM
lms

In article , says...

As some of you may know Montreal has experienced one of its hurshest
winters with temperatures dropping to -28 and -30 Celsius. On top, I
leave next to the lake front (Pointe-Claire strong with strong wind
chill factor.

I planted many roses over the past 2 years (close to 50 kinds) and
attempted, of course, to concentrate on Winter Hardy ones. Still, I
took some chances...

have read your post, I think your choices are as thought-out as they could be,
wish I had been so smart in the beginning.

I decided NOT to winter protexct them, and act on "survival of the
fittest" principle. I did mulch each sensitive rose approx. 6"-10"
high.

I lost completely only one rose: Coral Dawn.

excellent. I used to 'double-bag' the newly-planted roses on any late-winter
night which seemed threatening, once the little devils showed signs of growth.
And next morning 'unbag' them. 3 large rocks per--3 rocks would keep down the
plastic.
But I don't do that anymore, they make it or they don't and I don't weep too
long, there are just too many good roses to worry about wimps, and sometimes
sheeeeeit just happens.

I was surprised to have complete Winter Kill above snow-accummulation
level on my Viking Queen climbers and Sea-Foam hedge, Jacques Cartier,
even though they were safe below this level.

I was, however, encouraged to have the following, suspect to perish,
survive below snow and/or below mulch level:

White Dawn, Rosa Mouchata Plena (a species rose predicated here last
year by another member

I'm going to trade a Rosa Moschata for a Rosa Stellata Mirifica which I'm
going to find and cop on the 4th of July, I know right where to go.
Once again good rose fortune has come a knockin on me door. And miraculously
so, it's the most amazing rose thing that's ever happened to me, honestly.
It's fate. I'm the chosen one. heheh

to not Survive Montreal's Winter; Remember
that normal winters are slightly warmer than our last), Isphahan,
Autumn (4 season-) Damascus

Then to my delight, a whole bunch of roses that had not flowered their
first year, are already covered with buds, soon to explode onto a
color celebration. Those include my two year old Austrian Copper
(bicolora, yellow & orange),

mygod what a glorious rose, hits you right where you live. Mine has sported
several totally yellow canes and it's even popped a few like this
http://www.nmt.edu/~mstephen/Ryrfb01.jpg
you would also totally like R. foetida. Infact, you should plant every foetida
you can get your hands on--I grow Harison's Yellow, Persian Yellow and those
two. I see bicolor in so many Hybrid Tea etc. roses, including Gold Medal,
Girl Scout and even Granada.
Here's a foetida going the way of bicolor:
http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/Redf2.jpg
The colors in roses are laid down in layers which get burned off--the very last
roses on the plant look like this--if one is lucky--around the second week
of June.

Hazeldean (forgotten Canadian
development, yellow), Rosa Carolina (species),

You should definitely grow some Brownells--they're absolute monsters here,
do not die back at *all, the 3 I have. Here's Dr. Brownell:
http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/Brnl98.jpg It's not as high-centered as
most of your trophy-winning queenbitch roses but it produces these by the
hundreds. Outside of foetida, that yellow in the center is the most vivid
of any yellow I've ever seen on any rose.
This year in late April this 14 x 12 plant was totally covered
in buds, ready to pop and got WASted!!! by successive 20 degree nights.
Along with many others. It's been a weird year--right now it's kind of like
having a very good 2nd Flush. Some were smart enough to wait, but many show
distinct got my ass froze off signs.

Rosa Primula (species,
yellow).

this one bloomed bout April 1, **long before any other roses. Positively the
best kept secret in roses. It actually blooms twice, in succession. Small
flowers, then big flowers.
http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/13prim03.jpg
This is a young plant, mind you.

As well, many other first year plantees have already buds:
Prairie Blush, Suzanne (older Canadian experiment pink),

hahaha. I've often wondered about Suzanne. It's in the blood of some fine
roses.

Agnes (older
Canadian experiment-yellow) and others.

It will be a feast to the eye in a couple of weeks!

Stick around. It's always good to see someone who isn't stuck in the hybrid
tea rut.

Old 10-06-2003, 06:20 PM
B. Midler

Interesting. Thanks for sharing the results.

Was there any difference in survial rate based on grafted roses vs. own
roots?

My mother would tell you that the increased flower rate is because the bush
knows it's gonna die soon and must make babies.

Old 12-06-2003, 12:32 AM
GD ZK

As you may notice I really fuylly lost one rose. Coral Dawn. It was, I
believe grafted. Butother grafted ones survived.

Contributing factors were my planting with the bud0union at least
1.5"-2" below ground level (whch leads many a times to belated "own
root"...), high-mulching (the upwards of 5"-10" as conditions may
allow) and the fact that snow cummulation was over one foot.

But I do have quite a few own roots--it's true, mainly my favourite
species roses and rare Canadian experiments etc. The about to explode
(for the first time) Hazeldean keeps me on my toes, and the first
time full blossom Rosa Carolina and Rosa Primula are a delight. It's
so unusual and enticing to see a single, "primitive" five leafed rose.

Other Canadian experiments sucg as my Agnes, Will Alderman, Suzanne
Rose, Dr. F. L. Skinner, Carmenida, as well as Wassam??? (The exact
spelling escapes me now) are about to burst into multiple flopwer
blooming, as are the more main-stream Prarie Blush and Prairie Youth,
J.P. Connel and other standards: Hansa, Therese Bugnet, Jens Munks,
Blanc Double de Colbert, John Davis... Prairie Sunrise has already
shot its first flower--a beauty. I am having fun...

Old 16-06-2003, 10:32 PM
GD ZK

for those who care,

Low and behold, just like the Phoenix, belatedly, and from under-mulch
and ground level, my only winter "loss", Coral Dawn, has suddenly--and
only now!--reemerged.

Growth and survival in Nature are sure powerful!

GD ZK