Old 02-06-2003, 10:08 PM
Rick Mugg

Default Stone Walls - Something better than mortar?

Thanks! I'm going to try and locate this product and give it a chance.

"pelirojaroja" wrote in message
.. .
We've used something called Seamco Stone Bond epoxy. Each individual

stone
was coated with the epoxy. It bonds each stone to the stones next to it
(above-below, also), and has been considerably stronger than concrete
mortar. Other epoxy-based products should work well, too. I think you've
got the right idea.

-- pelirojaroja

"Rick Mugg" wrote in message
A contractor has built several low (less than 18 inches) stone walls on

my
property. The gravity stacked wall receives no traffic and is doing

fine.
A couple of the walls, however, either border a paver walk or provide a
riser for some stairs. These constructs are all mortared together, with

the
mortar generally not visible (retracted from the front surface) so the

walls
appear to be gravity stacked. They look terrific.

The stone used is called "colonial wall stone" around here (northern
virginia), is gray, predominantly flat.

The problem is that many of the stones that receive a footfall

periodically
are difficult to keep secure. The contractor will (to this point) come

back
and remortar --- but that is usually only temporary. My guess is that

the
mortar shrinks on drying, and leaves just enough play so that any

pressure
tips the stone and breaks the rest of the bond.

After that lengthy explanation, here's the question: is there some other
product (say, epoxy based) that will provide a VERY STRONG and PERMANENT
bond between the two pieces of stone??

Thanks.