Old 02-06-2003, 10:08 PM
D. S.

Default Critters in Pond

Ok...They are long and thin. They have a discernable head and 3 "gill
thingies" at the tail end. They have legs right under the head and they
jump around.
If I could get a pic and send it/ post it somewhere.....HMMMM

D.S.

"K30a" wrote in message

That second link comes and goes, not sure why.

Okay, let's solve this! Can you describe the critter in detail?
If it is round on top of the feathery gills then the first poster had it

right,
it could be a copepod. I've found them in my pond. They feed on algae,

detritus
and bacteria.
If the rest of the body is slender and you and see a head then it might be

damselfly nymph. They feed on other aquatic larva, invertebrates and

worms.
The crawling water beetle larva has feathery gills at its hind end.
So do some gnat larva.

A good book is POND LIFE found in the nature or kids' section of the

bookstore.
The latest edition doesn't have the author's name on the front by it is

written
by Dr. George K. Reid and is very comprehensive.

k30a