Old 30-01-2003, 04:41 AM
JimiFromMI

Default Fire Blight

According to Kains: "Five Acres and Independence":

" ...both the tool and the wound should be well sterilized by wiping with
a rag or a sponge kept wet with a solution of corrosive sublimate (mercuric
chloride) made by dissolving a tablet of the chemical in a pint of warm
water".

This stuff is corrosive (eats metal if left moist indefinitely) so mix in a
glass, wood or ceramic container. It is also poisonous and being that the
book was originally published in 1935, perhaps a more suitable treatment
exists today.

BR,

DVK

--
My off-topic statement:
US Doctors = No Accountability

"Larry Caldwell" wrote in message
I have a couple apple trees infected with fire blight. I want to prune
the diseased limbs off, and know I should disinfect my pruning tools to
keep from spreading the disease to healthy trees.

So what do I use to disinfect the tools? Paint thinner? I have a big
propane burner, but don't want to take the temper out of my tools or melt
fiberglass handles.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc