Old 03-06-2003, 04:08 AM
B & J

Default possible to transplant asclepias tuberosa?

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message
B & J said:.

I tried collecting, saving, and planting seeds, but none of them grew. I
might add that I collected seeds from a white milkweed with the same
results. Does anyone have a formula for making these seeds grow?

Easy to grow from tip cuttings. Root the cuttings in damp sand. Keep
them in a shaded area. Cover each pot with cutting with a plastic bag.
Use short stakes to hold the bags up and away from the cuttings. Cuttings
taken in June should root in time to plant in early September.

I've started getting seedling appearing here and there, but my first plant
(bare root) was the 'mother' to a number of babies through cuttings.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

Thanks for the information, Pat. BTW, doesn't one lose any chance for blooms
if tip cuttings are taken, or does the plant develop more flowering tips
after the initial ones are cut off for rooting? The cooling period for seeds
sounds as if it has merit too.

John