Old 03-06-2003, 04:08 AM
Dmitry Akselrod

Default [IBC] 2 Problem Trees

"Jim Lewis" wrote in message
news:000f01c32962$3a646e20$41122cc7@pavilion...
Dimitry,

Both trees will like it better outdoors at this time of year. If
nothing else, open the window, but if you can put them outside,
do it.

Unfortunately, the open window is as close as I can get to putting the
trees outside. I live in downtown Philadelphia, on the 4th floor. I do try
to open the windows frequently. However, it has been raining and storming
for the past 2+ weeks.

Don't rely on electronics to test the moisture in the soil.
Eyeball it, or use the stick-in-the-soil method, testing the
dirty end every day to see if it feels damp. Do NOT water unless
the soil is dry.

I try to use both methods, with the hydrometer to support my opinion.
Should I let the soil dry completely through?

It sounds to me like you are using a soil for both trees that
holds much too much water. The one limp branch on the ficus is
definately a root problem. When you repotted, did you completely
bare-root the tree? If not, there may be some soil that stays
too soggy -- or that is so dense that when you water the pot, it
never even gets wet.

I am actually using 2 different soils. The serissa is in a tropical soil
from bonsai boy of new york. The Willow Leaf is a soil from Bonsai of
Brooklyn. The Willow Leaf ficus soil is extremely well draining. But you
are definitely correct, I did not completely bare-root the tree. I was
afraid to disturb the tree too much. It was really water-logged. I thought
about putting it peat moss, but I forgot why I didn't. What can I do to
save the branch and the tree? Should I disturb the roots again?

The Serissa is just being -- a serissa.

Gotcha. Perhaps, when the sun decides to emege in Philly, it will do better
with some sunlight and fresh air.

Thank you!
Dmitry