Old 02-06-2003, 11:56 PM
Dmitry Akselrod

Default [IBC] 2 Problem Trees

Hello everyone,

I would like to ask your for expert opinions to help me with a couple of
troublesome trees.

1. I own a Serissa, about 20 years old. I acquired this tree about 6
months ago. It has always produced a healthy amount of yellow leaves every
day as well as a good amount of new growth. It even had a good amount of
dried up leaves in its pot when I purchased it. I transplanted the tree
and root pruned it (slightly) about 3 months ago. It has thinned out since,
which I guess is normal.

The problem is the yellow leaves amount. It seems to generate about a dozen
or so new yellow leaves each day. All signs point to overwatering, but I
don't think that's the case. I even invested in a hydrometer. I water the
tree when the soil is dry about an inch under the topsoil. It interval
varies with the weather. I feed it every 2 weeks or so and occasionally
give it some MirAcid (which helps lessen the yellow leaves for a while).
The tree sits in a very very bright window. Misting it or using a humidity
tray (I do both) has no visible effect on the amount of yellow leaves. The
roots seemed very healthy when I transplanted it.

The condition of the tree does not seem to get any worse or better. I would
just consider it a "Serissa Temper Tantrum" but there should be a better
answer. Is there something I am missing? Do you have any suggestions?

2. I also have a Willow Leaf Ficus. The ficus became water-logged shortly
after I purchased it. It was in bad soil that didn't drain well at all. I
transplanted the tree into good draining soil since that. I did not root
prune, but I did dig out the old soil out of the root ball a bit. The tree
is attempting to recover. I see tiny little green buds appear on the
branches, but most dry out, followed by drying out of the entire branch
segment. The main branches are good and green most of the way up. Only the
extremities dry out. There is one branch that has a great amount of growth
on it. There are a couple of more trying to start.

I left for a couple of days recently. When I returned, the leaves on the
branch that had all of the growth were very droopy. They feel solid, but
they are droopy. The look like dehydrated tree foliage. However, the soil
is still wet, to touch and wet according to the hydrometer. The weird part
is that the other branches that have leaves are completely fine. Only the
branch with the most growth is droopy.

I didn't feed the tree before I left, I just watered it. I don't know what
the weather was like during my absence, but it has been raining in Philly
for the past 2 weeks. We haven't had much sun at all. I think that there
may have been a day of sunshine. Could the tree have been shocked? To
not take any chances, I moved it out of the window and put it filtered light
this morning. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you all in advance,

Dmitry

Old 03-06-2003, 01:20 AM
Jim Lewis

Dimitry,

Both trees will like it better outdoors at this time of year. If
nothing else, open the window, but if you can put them outside,
do it.

Don't rely on electronics to test the moisture in the soil.
Eyeball it, or use the stick-in-the-soil method, testing the
dirty end every day to see if it feels damp. Do NOT water unless
the soil is dry.

It sounds to me like you are using a soil for both trees that
holds much too much water. The one limp branch on the ficus is
definately a root problem. When you repotted, did you completely
bare-root the tree? If not, there may be some soil that stays
too soggy -- or that is so dense that when you water the pot, it
never even gets wet.

The Serissa is just being -- a serissa.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - This economy
is a wholly owned subsidiary of the environment. - Gaylord
Nelson, 1995

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 03-06-2003, 04:08 AM
Dmitry Akselrod

"Jim Lewis" wrote in message
Dimitry,

Both trees will like it better outdoors at this time of year. If
nothing else, open the window, but if you can put them outside,
do it.

Unfortunately, the open window is as close as I can get to putting the
trees outside. I live in downtown Philadelphia, on the 4th floor. I do try
to open the windows frequently. However, it has been raining and storming
for the past 2+ weeks.

Don't rely on electronics to test the moisture in the soil.
Eyeball it, or use the stick-in-the-soil method, testing the
dirty end every day to see if it feels damp. Do NOT water unless
the soil is dry.

I try to use both methods, with the hydrometer to support my opinion.
Should I let the soil dry completely through?

It sounds to me like you are using a soil for both trees that
holds much too much water. The one limp branch on the ficus is
definately a root problem. When you repotted, did you completely
bare-root the tree? If not, there may be some soil that stays
too soggy -- or that is so dense that when you water the pot, it
never even gets wet.

I am actually using 2 different soils. The serissa is in a tropical soil
from bonsai boy of new york. The Willow Leaf is a soil from Bonsai of
Brooklyn. The Willow Leaf ficus soil is extremely well draining. But you
are definitely correct, I did not completely bare-root the tree. I was
afraid to disturb the tree too much. It was really water-logged. I thought
about putting it peat moss, but I forgot why I didn't. What can I do to
save the branch and the tree? Should I disturb the roots again?

The Serissa is just being -- a serissa.

Gotcha. Perhaps, when the sun decides to emege in Philly, it will do better
with some sunlight and fresh air.

Thank you!
Dmitry

Old 03-06-2003, 04:08 AM
Jerry Meislik

Dmitri,
I can't comment on tree one.
As to the Willow leaf it likely suffered when it had the compacted and wet
soil. You cured that problem by repotting it.
It sounds like the tree had a second insult when you were gone. Perhaps too
wet or too dry by an inexperienced baby sitter.
In any case what you need to do is to prevent any further insults to the
tree. I would keep it where it has always been kept and watch the watering,
not too wet and not too dry. No fertilizer until the tree is normal.
The branch with the drooping leaves is probably gone. Perhaps it broke and
you may not be aware of it.
Good luck.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
Zone 4-5
http://www.bonsaihunk.8m.com/

Old 03-06-2003, 04:08 AM
Jim Lewis

"Jim Lewis" wrote in message
[...]

Well . . . not "completely" but doggone close. In time, you will
be able to merely lift the pots and determine whether it's time
to water or not, but until then, when the stick feels dry, WATER.

[...]

I'm no Ficus expert (understatement) but I understand that they
transplant best in warm weather. I would GUESS that taking the
tree out and washing away all the soil without removing any more
root (except the rotted parts that will just flush away anyway)
would work. But if you have someone nearby who knows more about
Ficus that I do (maybe your neighbor's three-year-old daughter!),
ask her -- just to be sure.

The branch may be un-saveable by now. But maybe not.

The sun's a coming. Don't be too eager. It was 90 here today
with 67% humidity. Just breathing hard was enough to raise a
sweat.

Old 03-06-2003, 01:44 PM
Carl L Rosner

Dmitry Akselrod wrote:

[...]

Dmitry: I am far from being a Serissa expert (or any other kind, for
that matter), but I do know that Serissa like a cooler and drier
environment then you obviously have in your apartment.... I would take
the advise of others about the wooden stick in the soil, but I would
make sure the stick is dry, not damp. I know it is scary, but I think
you will find less yellow leaves...

[...]

I have a Nerifolia (willow leaf) Ficus forest that I put outside in the
shade and after two weeks in our cold wet miserable weather I put it out
in the sun. It became sun burned, and I brought it back indoors and
defoliated every leaf. I then watered the tree well (three waterings)
and put the treee in a plastic enclosure on a propagation mat. Within
three days I saw the green tips appear and the tree is in full leaf now
after seven days. After two weeks I took it out of my home made ICU.
If the weather everwarms up in southern NJ I will again try to p[ut it
out doors. Maybe you should try the ICU idea......

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7
http://bmee.net/rosner
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 04-06-2003, 02:08 AM
Dmitry Akselrod

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

Upon further examination of the tree, I noticed that most of the branches
have dried out. I defoliated the branches that seems to be still alive and
cut off some of the dead wood. I soaked the tree in sink for a while and
watered it heavily. I then made a quick plastic bag tent thingie. I put
the tree in a quick home made green house. I will attempt to leave it in
the green house for about a week. My hopes are that I will some growth.

Hopefully, in a week, I will see something new green buds.

Again, thanx everyone,

Dmitry

Old 04-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Carl L Rosner

Dmitry:
Have patience.... some trees respond faster than others. Of course the
use of a propagation mat in the make-shift greenhouse would also help or
at least speed up the recovery...

Carl L. Rosner

PS: My Buttonwood took almost a month to recover.