Old 03-06-2003, 04:08 AM
Jerry Meislik

Default [IBC] 2 Problem Trees

Dmitri,
I can't comment on tree one.
As to the Willow leaf it likely suffered when it had the compacted and wet
soil. You cured that problem by repotting it.
It sounds like the tree had a second insult when you were gone. Perhaps too
wet or too dry by an inexperienced baby sitter.
In any case what you need to do is to prevent any further insults to the
tree. I would keep it where it has always been kept and watch the watering,
not too wet and not too dry. No fertilizer until the tree is normal.
The branch with the drooping leaves is probably gone. Perhaps it broke and
you may not be aware of it.
Good luck.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
Zone 4-5
http://www.bonsaihunk.8m.com/
2. I also have a Willow Leaf Ficus. The ficus became water-logged shortly
after I purchased it. It was in bad soil that didn't drain well at all. I
transplanted the tree into good draining soil since that. I did not root
prune, but I did dig out the old soil out of the root ball a bit. The tree
is attempting to recover. I see tiny little green buds appear on the
branches, but most dry out, followed by drying out of the entire branch
segment. The main branches are good and green most of the way up. Only the
extremities dry out. There is one branch that has a great amount of growth
on it. There are a couple of more trying to start.

I left for a couple of days recently. When I returned, the leaves on the
branch that had all of the growth were very droopy. They feel solid, but
they are droopy. The look like dehydrated tree foliage. However, the soil
is still wet, to touch and wet according to the hydrometer. The weird part
is that the other branches that have leaves are completely fine. Only the
branch with the most growth is droopy.

I didn't feed the tree before I left, I just watered it. I don't know what
the weather was like during my absence, but it has been raining in Philly
for the past 2 weeks. We haven't had much sun at all. I think that there
may have been a day of sunshine. Could the tree have been shocked? To
not take any chances, I moved it out of the window and put it filtered light
this morning. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you all in advance,

Dmitry

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++