Old 03-06-2003, 06:44 AM
Cass

Default mason jar method?

Give it a try. You don't have anything to lose. But do some reading on
the American Rose Society website so you don't get discouraged. It
isn't all that hard to root roses from cuttings, but you need to know
what works to improve your odds. Rooting hormone, selecting the right
kind of stems, doing it at the right time of year, trying different
techniques with hard-to-root roses, all of those factors can make the
difference. Some roses won't root one way and with root another.

In article , Alice Gless
wrote:

Oh dear, I just started some cuttings from new growth. Should I discard
them and start over or is there a chance they will root anyway?

Cass wrote:

In article , caterbro
wrote:

can i slash tender new green stems off my favorite bushes and plunk
them in good soil and expect them to live?

No
You need stems that have flowered

if i throw the bottle over
the plantings and love them and stuff?

No
You'll probably cook them. Try using open-topped gallon-sized plastic
milk jugs.

i envision a row of glinting and humid glittering hemispheres of 2l
bottles nurturing my rude cuttings jammed into a nice little garden
bed...

Why not just put the bottles out, if you'd like.

Read about propagation at the American Rose Society website:

http://www.ars.org/explore.cfm/articles/