Old 29-05-2003, 08:44 AM
caterbro

Default mason jar method?

can i slash tender new green stems off my favorite bushes and plunk
them in good soil and expect them to live? if i throw the bottle over
the plantings and love them and stuff?

i envision a row of glinting and humid glittering hemispheres of 2l
bottles nurturing my rude cuttings jammed into a nice little garden
bed...

i could sing....

no i couldn't

Carl
Old 29-05-2003, 03:44 PM
Cass

In article , caterbro
wrote:

can i slash tender new green stems off my favorite bushes and plunk
them in good soil and expect them to live?

No
You need stems that have flowered

if i throw the bottle over
the plantings and love them and stuff?

No
You'll probably cook them. Try using open-topped gallon-sized plastic
milk jugs.

i envision a row of glinting and humid glittering hemispheres of 2l
bottles nurturing my rude cuttings jammed into a nice little garden
bed...

Why not just put the bottles out, if you'd like.

Read about propagation at the American Rose Society website:

http://www.ars.org/explore.cfm/articles/
Old 03-06-2003, 05:20 AM
Alice Gless

Oh dear, I just started some cuttings from new growth. Should I discard
them and start over or is there a chance they will root anyway?

Old 03-06-2003, 06:44 AM
Cass

Give it a try. You don't have anything to lose. But do some reading on
the American Rose Society website so you don't get discouraged. It
isn't all that hard to root roses from cuttings, but you need to know
what works to improve your odds. Rooting hormone, selecting the right
kind of stems, doing it at the right time of year, trying different
techniques with hard-to-root roses, all of those factors can make the
difference. Some roses won't root one way and with root another.

In article , Alice Gless
wrote:

Oh dear, I just started some cuttings from new growth. Should I discard
them and start over or is there a chance they will root anyway?

Old 03-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Alice Gless

I've got that link bookmarked. Thanks to the poster who provided it.

My old aunt told me about the mason jar method using a ball of clay but I see
there are better things now. She didn't say how reliable it was nor did she
explain just how to make the cutting, but evidently it was used in the olden
days. You just put it in the ground that way where you want it to grow.

Roses grow on the east side of my house (only have one rootstock one left and
one Betty Prior) so it probably wouldn't cook there like it would in the full
sun if I used the jar method. But plastic sounds a little cooler.

wrote:

Oh dear, I just started some cuttings from new growth. Should I discard
them and start over or is there a chance they will root anyway?

Cass wrote:

In article , caterbro
wrote:

can i slash tender new green stems off my favorite bushes and plunk
them in good soil and expect them to live?

No
You need stems that have flowered

if i throw the bottle over
the plantings and love them and stuff?

No
You'll probably cook them. Try using open-topped gallon-sized plastic
milk jugs.

i envision a row of glinting and humid glittering hemispheres of 2l
bottles nurturing my rude cuttings jammed into a nice little garden
bed...

Why not just put the bottles out, if you'd like.

Read about propagation at the American Rose Society website:

http://www.ars.org/explore.cfm/articles/

Wanted: Stone mason for indoor fireplace Wayne North Carolina 1 10-11-2005 05:44 AM
mason bees [email protected] Lawns 7 12-05-2004 08:02 PM
Rock Mason charges?? CP Texas 2 05-04-2003 11:08 AM