Old 17-02-2003, 07:42 PM
LRLake

Default GPS

Any suggestions? Anyone using them regularly? Is GPS really as good as it
sounds or are there things you don't like about it?

Joe,

I sprang for a Garmin Legend last fall. I now consider it indespensible. It
goes everywhere with me just like the compass and loggers tape.

I find that when used with the Maptech product I save a lot of time locating
parcels in the boonies. No more hunting for 'K' tags or wondering where
section lines cross the road.

It really helps to buy Garmin's topo map set to download to the GPS. The basic
information in the machine provides little or no help any distance from major
roads (blank screen). You still need maptech though, for land net because the
garmin map product has no section info. May not make any difference in your
area because of the lack of a public land survey.

If you get one you'll be hooked and save time. You can transfer field info to
the maps from the GPS with much greater accuracy than scetching. My experience
has been that the unit is pretty damn accurate ... in the range of 1/2 chain if
used carefully. One very cool thing is, if you do good office setup, no more
pacing and measuring distance. You just go to the point.

Don't pay for a compass. Your silva is probably better and easier to use.
Besides, as long as you're moving, the GPS gives you a heading.

Have fun. They're a great tool. Every forester should have one. You'll get
hooked.

The units are around $200 and the mapping packages $100 apiece.

Larry