Old 03-06-2003, 09:08 PM
Tracy Lorraine Smith

Default How late can I plant rugosas?

I planted my rugosas in October, and they bloomed nicely the
next spring. Last year most of them got moved in November,
after our first big snowstorm, and they're doing great this
year (except Charles Albanel seems to have lost his biggest
cane). I'm in Zone 5, Boulder, CO. Just make sure the roots
are buried before the big winter freeze sets in. They go
dormant early, and take time making leaves in the spring so
don't panic, but they do bloom faster than the HTs!

Tracy Lorraine Smith Boulder CO Zone 5
where Harison's Yellow was the first rose to bloom, and
John Cabot the second, but now Martin Frobischer,
Henry Hudson, Alba Suavolens and Rose Eglantaria are all
going great guns too. Not to mention Charlotte Armstrong
and Simplicity- with some BIG buds on Snowfire.....

mmarteen wrote:
We are building a house which hopefully will be ready for occupancy sometime
next month. I am doing the landscaping and have plans for several rugosas
to go along one fence line for privacy.

We are in zone 4, Minneapolis area. How late can I put rugosas in or at
what point should I postpone my plans until next year?

Thanks!

mm