Old 03-06-2003, 03:44 PM
mmarteen

Default How late can I plant rugosas?

We are building a house which hopefully will be ready for occupancy sometime
next month. I am doing the landscaping and have plans for several rugosas
to go along one fence line for privacy.

We are in zone 4, Minneapolis area. How late can I put rugosas in or at
what point should I postpone my plans until next year?

Thanks!

mm

Old 03-06-2003, 04:44 PM
dave weil

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003 09:35:36 -0500, "mmarteen"
wrote:

We are building a house which hopefully will be ready for occupancy sometime
next month. I am doing the landscaping and have plans for several rugosas
to go along one fence line for privacy.

We are in zone 4, Minneapolis area. How late can I put rugosas in or at
what point should I postpone my plans until next year?

You should be fine for a while at least. You can actually plant potted
roses all the way through the summer without worry (at least in your
area), although you have to keep them well-watered and keep your
expectations about how much they'll grow this season down to a
minimum. At least you'll get a jump on next season.

Bare root roses are a different matter. You really don't want to be
establishing them much later than now.

Obviously it's better to plant before May, but if you're worried about
killing them, I wouldn't (especially up there). The main thing is that
you keep them WELL watered for a couple of months at least.

Keep in mind that rugosas shoudn't be sprayed with *anything*
chemical. They don't like it at all. They don't even like to be fed
with a foliar spray. So, make sure that you don't put hem in proximity
with any plants that you might have to spreay, because even the
overspray can cause leaf damage.

This is all my .02 so take it with a grain of salt. Others may
disagree. I'm in Zone 6b myself. I know that I've planted potted roses
as late as July with no ill-effect.

Old 03-06-2003, 09:08 PM
Tracy Lorraine Smith

I planted my rugosas in October, and they bloomed nicely the
next spring. Last year most of them got moved in November,
after our first big snowstorm, and they're doing great this
year (except Charles Albanel seems to have lost his biggest
cane). I'm in Zone 5, Boulder, CO. Just make sure the roots
are buried before the big winter freeze sets in. They go
dormant early, and take time making leaves in the spring so
don't panic, but they do bloom faster than the HTs!

Tracy Lorraine Smith Boulder CO Zone 5
where Harison's Yellow was the first rose to bloom, and
John Cabot the second, but now Martin Frobischer,
Henry Hudson, Alba Suavolens and Rose Eglantaria are all
going great guns too. Not to mention Charlotte Armstrong
and Simplicity- with some BIG buds on Snowfire.....

Old 04-06-2003, 03:56 AM
Charles Perry

mmarteen wrote:

...We are in zone 4, Minneapolis area. How late can I put rugosas in ...

Sam Kedem usually has a nice selection of rugoses and other hardy roses in pots
at his nursery near Hastings. The potted roses can be planted anytime before
freeze up.

One year I had some potted Town and Country (not rugoses) roses go dormant in
the pots so I buried them pot and all for the winter, grew them in the pots the
next summer and finally planted them in the fall. Most rugoses are even tougher
than the Town and Country plants.
Regards,

Charles Z4a at Rochester
--
Charles Perry
Reply to:

** A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand **

Old 04-06-2003, 07:20 PM
mmarteen

Thanks everybody for the advice. I was planning to take a trip to Hastings
to check out the selection. According to the website their last year's
catalog had all the roses I was interested in: Therese Bugnet, William
Baffin, Charles Albanel, JP Connell, John Cabot, Morden Blush, Morden
Centennial, Snow Pavement and maybe Dart's Dash. I have space for 5 or 6.

mm

Old 05-06-2003, 03:44 PM
Theo Asir

I've had terrible luck with Rugosa's but
I put that down to my poor abilities.

Last year both my Hansa & Blanc D Coubert
died when I tried to Fatten them in pots in June.

But the Rugosa Alba & Rubra I planted last july seem to
be doing just fine.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City