Old 03-06-2003, 09:32 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default seed potato sprouting

I tried one limited potato plant. Over a week ago I noticed a bud of
leaf-like things right at the dirtline. It was dark like the dirt and
it might have been there for a few days without me spotting it. It was
the potato's first top growth. Well over a week later it is still
there. No growth no movment no change of color. I think it died.

Re-reading one of the books I didn't let the sprout grow to the
recommended 1 inch long before planting.

I have other seed potatoes some with almost an inch of psrout, some
have multiple spruots in a little cluster. SOme are multi-colored
purples and tiny tinges of green... are they supposed to look like
that? (I remember green potatoes being poisonous. )

I know it is late, my CCE says first week of May. WIth the cool wet
weather maybe this will be good anyway. I also intended to harvest as
new potatoes so a full season isn't what I expected anyway.

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)