Old 03-06-2003, 09:32 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default seed potato sprouting

I tried one limited potato plant. Over a week ago I noticed a bud of
leaf-like things right at the dirtline. It was dark like the dirt and
it might have been there for a few days without me spotting it. It was
the potato's first top growth. Well over a week later it is still
there. No growth no movment no change of color. I think it died.

Re-reading one of the books I didn't let the sprout grow to the
recommended 1 inch long before planting.

I have other seed potatoes some with almost an inch of psrout, some
have multiple spruots in a little cluster. SOme are multi-colored
purples and tiny tinges of green... are they supposed to look like
that? (I remember green potatoes being poisonous. )

I know it is late, my CCE says first week of May. WIth the cool wet
weather maybe this will be good anyway. I also intended to harvest as
new potatoes so a full season isn't what I expected anyway.

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)
Old 03-06-2003, 10:20 PM
Aaron Baugher

DigitalVinyl writes:

I tried one limited potato plant. Over a week ago I noticed a bud of
leaf-like things right at the dirtline. It was dark like the dirt
and it might have been there for a few days without me spotting
it. It was the potato's first top growth. Well over a week later it
is still there. No growth no movment no change of color. I think it
died.

Since you mention later that the weather's been cool and wet, it could
have rotted before it got growing well. Hard to say.

Re-reading one of the books I didn't let the sprout grow to the
recommended 1 inch long before planting.

I've never heard that before. We routinely plant potatoes with no
measurable sprouts -- just eyes.

I have other seed potatoes some with almost an inch of psrout, some
have multiple spruots in a little cluster. SOme are multi-colored
purples and tiny tinges of green... are they supposed to look like
that? (I remember green potatoes being poisonous. )

Yeah, they can look pretty funny. You don't have to worry about the
green since you won't be eating it. That usually means they've been
exposed to sunlight, but it shouldn't hurt them for planting.

--
Aaron