Old 20-02-2003, 02:39 AM
John Ponder

Default GPS

Joe I used the original garmin etrek with my laptop and maptech
software. Its cool. You can be driving down a road anf tell pretty
close when you cross a section line using the th 1:24,000 topos which
show section lines. I can do tracks and throw them up on the laptop
and calculate area. This christmass I stepped up to the etrek Legend.
It allows you to do area calculations on it without using the laptop.
The compass function burns alot of battery power. They advertise the
etrek as 22 hours of battery time but it aint going to happen. I dont
see the point of the electronic compass. The legend is on the internet
at 198$ and if the rebates havent expired you can get a 50$ rebate. i
bought 2. They have a base map and all kinds of other bells and
whistles. The legend has WAAS but I have never got it to lock onto
that sattellite. I think they have to be numbered 35 or so higher. The
etrek only carry two batteries but you get a computer cable with the
legend. The auto power adapter is like 35$. Why did you think a
digital compass is invaluable. I like to set gps to "goto" the north
pole"calculated" as I never been there and then I can tell my magnetic
variance for where I am at. You just have to move a little to get a
reading. Compasses are too cheap to want to burn batteries on your GPS
IMHO.On Sun, 16 Feb 2003 04:19:29 -0500, "Joe Zorzin"
wrote:

When it comes to computers and the net, I've been on the cutting edge- but
when it comes to GPS, I've been Luddite- not wanting to think of another
thing to spend money on that I could live without.

But, recently another forester in the area gave me a demonstration of his
GPS unit and how it can interact with the Mass. GIS Maptech program which
has all the topo maps of Mass. on CD and a fine program to view that stuff-
which is GIS compatible.

But as I look at the models available, I'm not sure what to buy. One feature
on the better ones that looks indispensable is a digital compass!

Any suggestions? Anyone using them regularly? Is GPS really as good as it
sounds or are there things you don't like about it?

I'd like to find one that will help me find beatifull, rich, available
women. G
--
Joe Zorzin
http://www.forestmeister.com