Old 20-02-2003, 02:56 AM
John Ponder

Default GPS

I hear that we had a parcel noone had been on since it was bought in
1963. Our forsters couldnt find it but I popped the lines using
maptech and had all the corners plotted and just walked it with my
etek. The maptech topos are old but that helps find old churches and
graveyards that might get dropped on the new topos when they come out.

I find that when used with the Maptech product I save a lot of time locating
parcels in the boonies. No more hunting for 'K' tags or wondering where
section lines cross the road.

I dont have garmis software. How does it help you if it doesnt show
section lines? Section lines are the greatest thing about maptech.

It really helps to buy Garmin's topo map set to download to the GPS. The basic
information in the machine provides little or no help any distance from major
roads (blank screen). You still need maptech though, for land net because the
garmin map product has no section info. May not make any difference in your
area because of the lack of a public land survey.

I agree My Legend eats batteries. Its a pain to have to carry them and
as soon as you forget you are powerless, figuratively and literally.
My old original etrek does better on battery life but the screen is
1/2 the resolution and cant calculate area, or all the cellestial
stuff. The etrek with the compasses just spit the batteries out and
burp. a waste. I think you get a barometer too on the one with the
compas and a bunch of stuff for pilots. If you stay in your vehicle
with a power cord you'll be alright but if not carry lots of duracells

Don't pay for a compass. Your silva is probably better and easier to use.
Besides, as long as you're moving, the GPS gives you a heading.

Have fun. They're a great tool. Every forester should have one. You'll get
hooked.

The units are around $200 and the mapping packages $100 apiece.

Larry