Old 04-06-2003, 05:08 AM
Go Fig

Default Light vs Water Lily Depth

I saw in another post that the temp of a pond is 55, is this the same
pond with the lilies ? This temp and low light is going to be problem
for lilies.

jay
Tue, Jun 3, 2003

In article ,
Go Fig wrote:

In article ,
"Heather" wrote:

Hi:

My pond gets three hours of direct sunlight from 11 am to 2pm each day, plus
dappled sunlight at other times of the day.

I have water lilys that came from a pond at a 3 - 4' depth.

Question is: With the lack of full sunlight if I put the plants at t 2'
depth will they be more likely to flower or is flowering dependant only on
how much sun hits the floating leaves? Will fertilizing more often help?

Thanks in advance,

Heather

3 hours is at the very low end of sun exposure for lilies, but some will
do ok with that amount.

Do you know what species they a some low light lilies; Director,
Tina, Star/Queen of Siam, Panama, Mexicana and Trudy Slocum.

If not, do the lilies have flowers that rise up out of the water wih a
stem ?

Fertilizing may force a bud or 2, but lilies like sun, especially the
'hardy' types.

jay
Tue, Jun 3, 2003

--

Legend insists that as he finished his abject...
Galileo muttered under his breath: "Nevertheless, it does move."