Old 04-06-2003, 04:32 AM
Heather

Default Light vs Water Lily Depth

Hi:

My pond gets three hours of direct sunlight from 11 am to 2pm each day, plus
dappled sunlight at other times of the day.

I have water lilys that came from a pond at a 3 - 4' depth.

Question is: With the lack of full sunlight if I put the plants at t 2'
depth will they be more likely to flower or is flowering dependant only on
how much sun hits the floating leaves? Will fertilizing more often help?

Thanks in advance,

Heather

Old 04-06-2003, 05:08 AM
Go Fig

In article ,
"Heather" wrote:

Hi:

My pond gets three hours of direct sunlight from 11 am to 2pm each day, plus
dappled sunlight at other times of the day.

I have water lilys that came from a pond at a 3 - 4' depth.

Question is: With the lack of full sunlight if I put the plants at t 2'
depth will they be more likely to flower or is flowering dependant only on
how much sun hits the floating leaves? Will fertilizing more often help?

Thanks in advance,

Heather

3 hours is at the very low end of sun exposure for lilies, but some will
do ok with that amount.

Do you know what species they a some low light lilies; Director,
Tina, Star/Queen of Siam, Panama, Mexicana and Trudy Slocum.

If not, do the lilies have flowers that rise up out of the water wih a
stem ?

Fertilizing may force a bud or 2, but lilies like sun, especially the
'hardy' types.

jay
Tue, Jun 3, 2003

--

Legend insists that as he finished his abject...
Galileo muttered under his breath: "Nevertheless, it does move."
Old 04-06-2003, 05:08 AM
Go Fig

I saw in another post that the temp of a pond is 55, is this the same
pond with the lilies ? This temp and low light is going to be problem
for lilies.

jay

Tue, Jun 3, 2003

Old 04-06-2003, 04:44 PM
Heather

Yup that was me... The weather has been so cold here at night, coupled
with the low sun exposure. I'm starting to thing about "solar" heating the
pond by putting a hose in a sunny area and circulating some of the pond
water thru' it.

The lilies were collected from a friends natural pond. 150' x 100' and up
to 6' deep. I just chose a flower color, followed the stem down, and dug up
the root. (Very messy job... I was on scuba) If I remember correctly
there was yellow, white, pink and a deep pink. The flowers sit on the
water.

They are all showing growth, just no flower buds. Still trying to convince
my husband that more trees need to go into the woodpile. :)

Heather

Tue, Jun 3, 2003