Old 04-02-2003, 05:14 AM
Matthew P. Anderson

Default Ginger?

I dunno, there's something called "wild ginger" that
grows in zone 4. The roots taste like ginger.

"Frogleg" wrote in message
On Sat, 01 Feb 2003 18:21:59 GMT, Charles
wrote:

On Sat, 1 Feb 2003 09:17:40 -0800, "Al" wrote:

Can ginger be grown outside in California.

Some kinds, in some parts of California, yes. I have had white ginger
growing outdoors in coastal Ventura county for many years.

Can you be more specific? Which kinds are you interested in and where
in California are you?

Oops. I read this as "can ginger be grown outside *of* California" and
was about to make a very snappy reply. :-)

Ginger is a tropical/semi-tropical plant and is pretty much toast if
it gets frost. My own cherished ginger in Palo Alto was killed not by
frost, but an over-active gardener. If it doesn't freeze where you
are, you can probably cultivate it outdoors.