Old 04-06-2003, 07:20 AM
MartyWeiser

Default [IBC] Japanese maples - atropurpureum

Theo,

What is the state of the trunk and the major branches? If they are not near
the thickness you want for your bonsai it is not time to defoliate. I wait
to defoliate maples until after I have established the trunk and major
branches. Even then, I sometimes have a sacrifice branch or two that do not
get defoliated. My seedling atropurpureum are several years from any form
of defoliation - 3 mm trunks with a 6 cm leaf does not make a good bonsai in
my mind.

Marty