Old 03-06-2003, 06:56 AM
MartyWeiser

Default [IBC] Japanese maples - atropurpureum

There have been a couple of posts regarding the A. palmatum 'atropurpureum'
suitability for bonsai. The good points a
(1) they are generally seedling so there are no high graft issues
(2) they are nearly as strong and as hardy as the generic A. palmatum
seedling - need some protection from hot sun and wind
The bad points a
(1) they don't keep their color all season - and they green up more in less
sun
(2) the leaves are generally on the larger size (but you sometimes find one
that is smaller)

There are better red Japanese maples for bonsai (redder and smaller leaves),
but they are normally grafted and therefore more expensive. J.D. Vertrees
book is the most comprehensive and Mountain Maples www.mountainmaples.com
has one of the longest lists of Japanese maples I have seen and does a very
nice grafting job. However, A. palmatum 'atropurpureum' is often a very
good value, particularly if you want a larger bonsai (50+ cm) and can deal
with it not being red all season. I have several seedlings from a
neighbor's tree that I am starting to grow on - there is a moderate variety
in the leaves which will give rise to different bonsai.

Marty

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 03-06-2003, 08:56 AM
Theo

Hi Marty

MartyWeiser wrote:

-snip

with it not being red all season. I have several seedlings from a
neighbor's tree that I am starting to grow on - there is a moderate variety
in the leaves which will give rise to different bonsai.

Thanks for your information one of the first ones I had 20 years ago was probably
an atropurpureum also and had quite large leaves
again the label just said * japanese maple * and anything else
I got fed up as I knew very little about how to take care of it and it was
not growing properly
friendly
The one I have now is a test will seen within 2 years what will give
do you think I should defoliate right now ? is it still time I guess.. it is ok but
not puashing like most of my japanese maples this year( exception made to the
Trident maple)
Theo

Marty

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

--
How can You put trust in me if I do not trust in Me?
Theo

Old 04-06-2003, 07:20 AM
MartyWeiser

Theo,

What is the state of the trunk and the major branches? If they are not near
the thickness you want for your bonsai it is not time to defoliate. I wait
to defoliate maples until after I have established the trunk and major
branches. Even then, I sometimes have a sacrifice branch or two that do not
get defoliated. My seedling atropurpureum are several years from any form
of defoliation - 3 mm trunks with a 6 cm leaf does not make a good bonsai in
my mind.

Marty