Old 02-03-2003, 11:03 PM
Trixie

Default Green Water and UV Sterilizer

Thanks Jan! I was baffled by this stuff, since my water is so nice
and clear, as soon as it is warm enough I'll trot out to the store and
load up on plants. I did this last year but had a little mishap with
a labrador, he completely tore my pond up and every plant in it and
somehow 5 goldfish came up missing. He's now at my sister's place

~ jan wrote in message ws.com...
Hi Trixie,

Saw the picture, UV doesn't kill algae that grows on the sides of the pond,
it only kills the suspended algae.... has your pond ever looked like a can
of pea soup? That's what the UV can clear up (usually). Now to address the
stuff you do have, you have "immature-pond algae" and you've latched on to
the fix, higher plant forms. Your water is clear, thumbs up!!!!! )
Eventually you'll get mature-pond algae, brighter prettier green, and not
quite as fuzzy, but almost. ~ jan

On 27 Feb 2003 17:36:39 -0800, (Trixie) wrote:

I've got something similar, can't seem to get the green algae scum
gone, it grows and grows, i DO have a uv and a pondmaster filter on it
and doesn't seem to be helping, keeps growing and clogging teh heck
out of my filter, if you go to
http://www.kymberm.com/gallery/albums.php and click on the fish link
and see the pond, you'll see exactly the gook i'm dealing with. I
have 5 goldfish in my pond and a copule of frogs, I took that green
pic on Sunday, before the ice storm hit. I'm going to try a ton of
plants and hope that helps along with the uv, trying to avoid
chemicals. But have to wait until danger of freezing is over, unreal
that we got that ice storm down here in West texas!!!! Was 72 on
Saturday and 17 on monday with sleet. Wierd, anyone have any ideas of
what this is and how else i can combat it?

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a