Old 04-06-2003, 02:20 PM
Frogleg

Default Water loving plants & veggies from bulbs?

On 4 Jun 2003 04:27:47 -0700, (KR) wrote:

We have a small marshy area behind our house, are there any veggies
that would grow well there? I was thinking of trying celery again...

Rice? Watercress? I just looked up "celery cultivation" and see an
association with marshlands. Nice to discover something that doesn't
require "well-drained" soil. Iris seem to be one of the few plants
that can take wet ground, although logically, one would think the
tubers rather subject to rot.

Also, in one of the raised beds behind our house there is something
growing, just after the snow melted I was turning the soil and dug up
a couple, they haven't started growing but I guess I missed some and
they are! They look like green onions and are coming up from smallish
bulbs. They are planted in the "vegetable garden," according to the
lady who sold us the house. Any ideas as to what they may be?

There are many sorts of 'wild onions' that are noxious weeds. Also an
onion relative called 'ramps', which generate festivals in the
southern US. If the area *was* a veg garden, they could be any number
of onion/chive/garlic cousins or descendents. I'd let 'em grow and see
what happens.