Old 04-06-2003, 12:32 PM
KR

Default Water loving plants & veggies from bulbs?

Hi,

We have a small marshy area behind our house, are there any veggies
that would grow well there? I was thinking of trying celery again...

Also, in one of the raised beds behind our house there is something
growing, just after the snow melted I was turning the soil and dug up
a couple, they haven't started growing but I guess I missed some and
they are! They look like green onions and are coming up from smallish
bulbs. They are planted in the "vegetable garden," according to the
lady who sold us the house. Any ideas as to what they may be?

Thanks!

Katherine
Old 04-06-2003, 03:56 PM
Elizabeth

Water chestnuts would grow. Be prepared to keep them from getting out of
control.
Could be onions? Garlic? Water chestnuts? Flower bulbs? The advice to wait
and see was good.

--
elizabeth, Baton Rouge, LA
http://community.webshots.com/user/elott63

m...

Old 05-06-2003, 09:56 AM
gregpresley

If your plants that look like green onions and have small bulbs are starting
to bloom right now with light purple blossoms, they are probably chives.

Old 05-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Frogleg

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003 09:56:33 -0500, "Elizabeth"
wrote:

Water chestnuts would grow. Be prepared to keep them from getting out of
control.

Water chestnuts? Lead me to a swamp! I *love* water chestnuts. What a
nifty idea.
Old 07-06-2003, 04:21 AM

Louisiana irises.

Ann wrote:

(Frogleg) expounded:

Iris seem to be one of the few plants
that can take wet ground, although logically, one would think the
tubers rather subject to rot.

There are forms of iris that will take wet ground, the japanese
varieties come to mind, but if you stick a regular tall bearded iris
in wet ground you will definitely have rotten rhizomes.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.