Old 04-06-2003, 05:56 PM
dave weil

Default Really bizarre

Well, I've seen it all now.

(or not)

I found another Japanese beetle (which makes three so far - I'll have
to say that eliminating grubs from my lawn have made a really big
difference in the level of infestation).

I found it on a new blossom on Old Blush CL (which is starting to
rebloom again for the first time since the first flush). Anyway, the
blossom looked a little misshapen, which was to be expected after
being chomped on by a JB. But it didn't look right so I looked a
little closer. Well, guess what? The darned blossom has a cane growing
out of the center of it!

Here are the photos:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/Weird1.jpg
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/Weird2.jpg

I hope it's clear from the pics that the cane is literally growing out
of the center of the bloom.

Anyone ever seen anything like that before? Should I be checking my
property for radioactivity?