Old 04-06-2003, 05:56 PM
dave weil

Default Really bizarre

Well, I've seen it all now.

(or not)

I found another Japanese beetle (which makes three so far - I'll have
to say that eliminating grubs from my lawn have made a really big
difference in the level of infestation).

I found it on a new blossom on Old Blush CL (which is starting to
rebloom again for the first time since the first flush). Anyway, the
blossom looked a little misshapen, which was to be expected after
being chomped on by a JB. But it didn't look right so I looked a
little closer. Well, guess what? The darned blossom has a cane growing
out of the center of it!

Here are the photos:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/Weird1.jpg
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/Weird2.jpg

I hope it's clear from the pics that the cane is literally growing out
of the center of the bloom.

Anyone ever seen anything like that before? Should I be checking my
property for radioactivity?
Old 04-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Susan H. Simko

dave weil wrote:

I found another Japanese beetle (which makes three so far - I'll have
to say that eliminating grubs from my lawn have made a really big
difference in the level of infestation).

I'm keeping my fingers crossed...!

I've also managed to talk all my closest meighbors out of using
bag-a-bugs this year. Hoepfully that helps also.

I found it on a new blossom on Old Blush CL (which is starting to
rebloom again for the first time since the first flush). Anyway, the
blossom looked a little misshapen, which was to be expected after
being chomped on by a JB. But it didn't look right so I looked a
little closer. Well, guess what? The darned blossom has a cane growing
out of the center of it!

Here are the photos:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/Weird1.jpg
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/Weird2.jpg

That is really really strange. I don't think I've ever seen anything
like that before.

I hope it's clear from the pics that the cane is literally growing out
of the center of the bloom.

It's clear but makes you look twice to make sure you are really seeing
that.

Anyone ever seen anything like that before? Should I be checking my
property for radioactivity?

It does sound like a geiger counter might be called for...

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu

Old 04-06-2003, 07:08 PM
Theo Asir

being chomped on by a JB. But it didn't look right so I looked a
little closer. Well, guess what? The darned blossom has a cane growing
out of the center of it!

Weird! Wait till the discussion on how to
prune this one starts up.

Um! The Five leafed node is above
the flower!

On a side note I upload a few pictures to
my starter website if any one is interested.
Lots more work to be done.

http://home.everestkc.net/tasir/

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 05-06-2003, 02:20 AM
Cass

In article f68c7ef3dc7b1db5eeceb8e31f8a51bd@TeraNews, Theo Asir
wrote:

being chomped on by a JB. But it didn't look right so I looked a
little closer. Well, guess what? The darned blossom has a cane growing
out of the center of it!

Weird! Wait till the discussion on how to
prune this one starts up.

No discussion. Cut it off.

http://home.everestkc.net/tasir/

Is that Darlow's Enigma by the downspout? Such a great shrub. What's
the poiple low grower?
Old 05-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Theo Asir

.. .
wrote:

being chomped on by a JB. But it didn't look right so I looked a
little closer. Well, guess what? The darned blossom has a cane growing
out of the center of it!

Weird! Wait till the discussion on how to
prune this one starts up.

No discussion. Cut it off.

http://home.everestkc.net/tasir/

Is that Darlow's Enigma by the downspout? Such a great shrub. What's
the poiple low grower?

Yup. It used to be up to the top of the fence
but the tie broke & the canes broke. then
the lawn guys hit it w/ weedwacker.

Its recovering nicely. Put out about
4-5 5' canes & growing stongly.

The purple is Excelenz von Schubert.

It a poor picture but I was running
around trying to get as many as I could while
we had light.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 05-06-2003, 04:20 PM
Theo Asir

The purple is Excelenz von Schubert.

It used to be vertical too. But then
the winds had a word with it and
it is now prostrate.

A lot of my roses show wind damage.
As soon as they hit about 5' the wind
snaps of the teander top growth.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 05-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Unique Too

dave weil writes:

I found it on a new blossom on Old Blush CL (which is starting to
rebloom again for the first time since the first flush). Anyway, the
blossom looked a little misshapen, which was to be expected after
being chomped on by a JB. But it didn't look right so I looked a
little closer. Well, guess what? The darned blossom has a cane growing
out of the center of it!

It's called proliferation. Some roses seem to be more suseptable to this than
others and there are people who believe it may be caused by excess nitrogen.
It's not really a problem, other than being ugly, and most people just prune
off the affected bud.
If you do a Google search for proliferation on roses, I'm sure you'll find some
information.
Old 05-06-2003, 08:08 PM
dave weil

On 05 Jun 2003 18:56:31 GMT, in rec.gardens.roses you wrote:

dave weil writes:

I found it on a new blossom on Old Blush CL (which is starting to
rebloom again for the first time since the first flush). Anyway, the
blossom looked a little misshapen, which was to be expected after
being chomped on by a JB. But it didn't look right so I looked a
little closer. Well, guess what? The darned blossom has a cane growing
out of the center of it!

It's called proliferation. Some roses seem to be more suseptable to this than
others and there are people who believe it may be caused by excess nitrogen.
It's not really a problem, other than being ugly, and most people just prune
off the affected bud.
If you do a Google search for proliferation on roses, I'm sure you'll find some
information.

You learn something new every day!

Thanks! I'll take off the lead suit now.

Old 06-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Andy

Well, guess what? The darned blossom has a cane growing
out of the center of it!

Proliferation. Usually caused by damage to the stem during growing either
by frost or a virus. You have one of three optios. 1) Let it grow (which i
recommend if you want to see it put yet another bloom or cluster of blooms
at the point t\where it grows through, at leat once to see) and then cut it
off. 2) remove the whole stem. or 3) if all the blooms do the same, more
than likely a disease and then you really have no option but to dig up the
bush and destry it before it gets to you others.