Old 04-06-2003, 10:44 PM
Rodger Whitlock

Default Chilli recipe ?!

[quotage rearranged]

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

I've quoted your post in full, Charlie; now imagine you are someone
who has just downloaded it in today's posts. Could they make head or
tail of what you're on about, or who said what?
For everyone's sake, it would be a courtesy to edit and reply in the
accepted usenet way.

That you have avoided botulism reminds me of the window cleaner who
fell off the cradle at the 30th floor and as he passed the 20th floor,
called out to his mate " Don't worry, I'm okay so far".

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003 07:54:30 +0100, Charlie wrote:

Actually, I replied directly above the previous poster in a thread of top
posting. If you have a problem with the way I post to Usenet please skip
over my posts.

As for avoiding it, I just asked my friends Father who is a chef, Italien in
origin. He's also been doing this since he was young and living in italy
and says that not him of anyone he knows has been killed by drinking chile
(or any other type of infused) oil.

That's the word on it from a Chef, but obviously if you live your life by
the white men then don't try it.

Oil-preserved chili is probably safe as long as air can get at
it. Botulin bacteria only grow, afaik, under anaerobic
conditions. Serious danger arises when you make an oil-based
preserve or infusion in oil and process it in a hot water bath
like you do jam. Boiling water isn't hot enough: you need a
*real* canner, just as you do for meat, fish, and some
vegetables.

But even when properly processed, there's some risk of botulism
with oil-preserved foods.

There were several cases in Vancouver BC some years ago, traced
to commercial garlic-in-oil used in a restaurant. IIRC, the stuff
was fine until opened; *then* it went toxic. I'm not sure it the
key to the puzzle was "stored at room temperature after opening"
or "lid put back on too tightly", but please don't think that
there is no risk.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada