Old 03-06-2003, 11:32 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

Default Chilli recipe ?!

Robin wrote in message ...
NC wrote:
hmm- good idea. Do you just wack them straight in the freezer or do
you have to do anything to them first (dry out etc) ??

Just put them in a zip lock bag then straight to the freezer. When you

need
them just cut up while frozen and put straight into the recipe. I also put

whole Thai Dragon in home made lentil soup to give it a little zing.

Best to open freeze them, that's loose on a tray, first before bagging them
up. Then you can just take out how many you want for each recipe instead of
the whole lot being frozen into one solid mass.
They really do freeze well.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 04-06-2003, 02:32 AM
John S. DeBoo

NC wrote:

Hi all,
My chilli plants are starting to bear some nice fruit, and by the looks of
the number of buds, I'll be getting lots!!
As a result, I'm looking for ways in which to preserve them for later use -

Here's how we preserve chile in NM. Once plucked from the plant, place the
chiles in some water for maybe 20-30 minutes. Then put them onto the BBQ grill
until the skins are fairly black or darkened over most of the surface. Remove
from the BBQ and cover with wet towels. After 10 min or so, take them out from
the towels 1 by 1 and peel using thin plastic throw-away gloves. Remove the
seeds. Place in a bowl and either chop up finely first or just place them onto
small freezer bags (sandwich size) of a size suitable for smaller servings.

Putting therm in water allows them to soak up a bit. Placing on the grill cooks
the chili and helps with skin removal by creating steam within the chile. The
wet towels greatly assist in seperating the skin from the chile, kinda like
steamimg it from the chile pod. Gloves save you from getting it into your skin
which with prolonged contact will drive you crazy burning and itching.

From here you can make all the chili sauce or salsa etc you want all year
round. We do a full gunny sack of chile every year. Good stuff
Maynard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dang, now I'm Jonesing for salsa & chips................... or a burger w/ green
chile!

--
John S. DeBoo

Old 04-06-2003, 02:56 AM
Ross Reid

"Charlie" wrote:

Never killed me and my Dads been doing it all my life...

In fact, a similar recipie is in the Jamie Oliver cook book.

Charlie.

Yep,
There's always someone who jumps in and says they've (their dad, their
grandma, their mother's old maiden aunt, etc.) been doing it all their
life and it hasn't killed them. If you want to use unsafe methods, go
for it, just don't foist it on some poor unknowing soul.

Ross.
Old 04-06-2003, 06:20 AM
zxcvbob

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"NC" writes:
| Hi all,
| My chilli plants are starting to bear some nice fruit, and by the looks of
| the number of buds, I'll be getting lots!!
| As a result, I'm looking for ways in which to preserve them for later use -
| one of which is to make a hot sause of the type you get in the supermarket -
| peri peri for example.
| Anyway, I've found one good looking recipe
| (http://olliver.family.gen.nz/chilli_sauce.htm) but can anyone recommend any
| others ??

Take an old, clean Worcester sauce bottle, fill it loosely with
half-dried chillis (hot ones, of course) and top up with some dry,
sherry-like substance. "English Sherry - fino style" will do if
you can still get it :-)

I've made some interesting hot sauce using Chinese cooking wine (rice wine,
quite salty, about 21% alcohol) and chopped habanero peppers. Nicely
different than vinegary sauces.

Best regards,
Bob

Old 04-06-2003, 07:56 AM
Charlie

Actually, I replied directly above the previous poster in a thread of top
posting. If you have a problem with the way I post to Usenet please skip
over my posts.

As for avoiding it, I just asked my friends Father who is a chef, Italien in
origin. He's also been doing this since he was young and living in italy
and says that not him of anyone he knows has been killed by drinking chile
(or any other type of infused) oil.

That's the word on it from a Chef, but obviously if you live your life by
the white men then don't try it.

Charlie.

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
I've quoted your post in full, Charlie; now imagine you are someone
who has just downloaded it in today's posts. Could they make head or
tail of what you're on about, or who said what?
For everyone's sake, it would be a courtesy to edit and reply in the
accepted usenet way.

That you have avoided botulism reminds me of the window cleaner who
fell off the cradle at the 30th floor and as he passed the 20th floor,
called out to his mate " Don't worry, I'm okay so far".

Janet

Old 04-06-2003, 09:32 AM
Druss

"NC" wrote in message
Hi all,
My chilli plants are starting to bear some nice fruit, and by the looks of
the number of buds, I'll be getting lots!!
As a result, I'm looking for ways in which to preserve them for later

use -
one of which is to make a hot sause of the type you get in the

supermarket -
peri peri for example.
Anyway, I've found one good looking recipe
(http://olliver.family.gen.nz/chilli_sauce.htm) but can anyone recommend

any
others ??
One small drawback to the question - I dont know what kind of chillis I

have
!! One plant looks like birdseye, and the other looks like it will bear
larger rounder fruit - maybe habanero (!!!)
Any suggestions much appreciated.

Can they be dried, 'spose to improve their flavour/strength and after all
it's pretty much what the mexicans do isnt' it ?
Duncan

Old 04-06-2003, 09:56 AM
Tim

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003 09:12:46 +0100, Druss wrote:

"NC" wrote in message
[...]

Chillies dry very well. You can either sun dry them (in the UK? not a
chance), or *sowly* in a warm oven or a microwave on low. Beware - they'll
produce a cloud of pungent chilli-vapour in your kitchen that probably
contravenes most international strategic arms limitation treaties.

I also freeze a lot, they go soggy when thawed, like paprika does, but they
can be cut reasonably eaisily while still frozen, then bunged in the pan.

You can pickle them, I find a slightly sweet pickling solution to be
perfect for most types, especialy Jalapeno,something like the sweet
pickled-onion liquid would do for a start. Just slit them and make sure
they're not bad inside, and to allow the solution to get everywhere. Do
wash the chillies carefully and only pickle the perfect ones.
Tim.
Old 04-06-2003, 12:32 PM
NC

pickling is a great option that I've already been doing for ages with bought
chillis - good old Jammie Oliver's recipe !
I think I'll def go for the freezing option this time round too.

newsprp8im1ubwxhha1@localhost...

Old 04-06-2003, 10:44 PM
Rodger Whitlock

[quotage rearranged]

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003 07:54:30 +0100, Charlie wrote:

Actually, I replied directly above the previous poster in a thread of top
posting. If you have a problem with the way I post to Usenet please skip
over my posts.

As for avoiding it, I just asked my friends Father who is a chef, Italien in
origin. He's also been doing this since he was young and living in italy
and says that not him of anyone he knows has been killed by drinking chile
(or any other type of infused) oil.

That's the word on it from a Chef, but obviously if you live your life by
the white men then don't try it.

Oil-preserved chili is probably safe as long as air can get at
it. Botulin bacteria only grow, afaik, under anaerobic
conditions. Serious danger arises when you make an oil-based
preserve or infusion in oil and process it in a hot water bath
like you do jam. Boiling water isn't hot enough: you need a
*real* canner, just as you do for meat, fish, and some
vegetables.

But even when properly processed, there's some risk of botulism
with oil-preserved foods.

There were several cases in Vancouver BC some years ago, traced
to commercial garlic-in-oil used in a restaurant. IIRC, the stuff
was fine until opened; *then* it went toxic. I'm not sure it the
key to the puzzle was "stored at room temperature after opening"
or "lid put back on too tightly", but please don't think that
there is no risk.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Chilli recipe ?! NC United Kingdom 37 13-07-2003 04:56 AM
Chilli recipe ?! NC Edible Gardening 34 13-07-2003 04:56 AM
Laterite Recipe ? Bill Davis Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 06:14 AM
chilli plant grown with chilli seeds govinder United Kingdom 0 01-04-2003 11:20 PM
Recipe for de-chlorinator using sodium thiosulfate Bob Alston Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 27-02-2003 01:16 AM