Old 04-06-2003, 11:56 PM
Jim

Default Planting onion seeds now

On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 17:02:43 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

What will happen? I never got around to planting them in the early spring,
and I know the seeds will be no good next year.

Why not? Seeds, if properly stored, will last many years, with a
slight decrease in germination percent each year. I have successfully
planted 10 year old seeds numerous times....

These are cheap hybrid long-day onions (I don't recall the variety).
The days are already about 16 hours long up here.

Where is 'up here'? I'm at 49 degrees N and the days are almost 18
hours long.....

The weather is also unseasonably cool and damp,
which would be a good thing for the young onions.

But not for germination.

I know there's no chance of getting big onion bulbs because the days are
too long already. But will I get something useful for "spring onions" or
scallions, or will they just get confused and die?

Can't hurt to try, (plant some, save some) then tell us how it went...
I'd like to know myself, since I always plant onion sets or plants.

Good luck,

Jim