Old 05-06-2003, 09:17 AM
Larry Harrell

Default Seeking Advise

"Dark Falken" wrote in message om...
I will be going back to college in August to pursue a degree in Forestry.
I'd very much like to hear any advice that any of you might be willing to
offer. Thanks

At this place and time in history, it's probably a good decision. With
Bush wanting to "outsource" lots of government labor, being a forestry
contractor will be much more lucrative than it ever has been. I'm not
saying that this will be the true situation, as some things are better
left to government employees. However, bits and pieces of the USFS
forestry "machine" will almost certainly be "outsourced". Things like
stand exams, timber stand improvement projects, wildlife surveys,
plantation survival surveys and archeological surveys have some
potential to be outsourced. So far, some of the more mundane services
currently done by USFS employees are being studied this year.

Opportunities for foresters within the USFS are increasing and soon
there will be plenty of choices available for someone already within
the "system". Get your foot in the door and watch what happens when
the demand for foresters goes up and the supply goes down (massive
retirement is expected in the next 5-10 years). Contracting Officers,
Representatives and Inspectors will be most in demand. Sale Prep and
Admin will also be big with the amount of fuel reduction projects and
stewardship contracts that will come to be.