Old 03-06-2003, 04:08 AM
Dark Falken

Default Seeking Advise

I will be going back to college in August to pursue a degree in Forestry.
I'd very much like to hear any advice that any of you might be willing to
offer. Thanks

Old 03-06-2003, 04:08 AM
Joe Shmoe

Dark Falken wrote:

I will be going back to college in August to pursue a degree in Forestry.
I'd very much like to hear any advice that any of you might be willing to
offer. Thanks

"What's your dbh?" is not a good pick-up line That's the only practical
info I remember from University

Joe
Old 03-06-2003, 12:56 PM
Geoff Kegerreis

First things first. Drop the alias. Then we can discuss this all you want.

Geoff Kegerreis

www.timberlineforestry.com

Old 03-06-2003, 03:08 PM
Larry Harrell

"Dark Falken" wrote in message om...
I will be going back to college in August to pursue a degree in Forestry.
I'd very much like to hear any advice that any of you might be willing to
offer. Thanks

At this place and time in history, it's probably a good decision. With
Bush wanting to "outsource" lots of government labor, being a forestry
contractor will be much more lucrative than it ever has been. I'm not
saying that this will be the true situation, as some things are better
left to government employees. However, bits and pieces of the USFS
forestry "machine" will almost certainly be "outsourced". Things like
stand exams, timber stand improvement projects, wildlife surveys,
plantation survival surveys and archeological surveys have some
potential to be outsourced. So far, some of the more mundane services
currently done by USFS employees are being studied this year.

Opportunities for foresters within the USFS are increasing and soon
there will be plenty of choices available for someone already within
the "system". Get your foot in the door and watch what happens when
the demand for foresters goes up and the supply goes down (massive
retirement is expected in the next 5-10 years). Contracting Officers,
Representatives and Inspectors will be most in demand. Sale Prep and
Admin will also be big with the amount of fuel reduction projects and
stewardship contracts that will come to be.
Old 03-06-2003, 05:08 PM
mhagen

Larry Harrell wrote:
[...]

Study hard and have fun! You'll be in a very good spot in five years.
Consider a peace corps term then. If federal forestry is a possibility
for you, a term of service will put you ahead of the new grads. If the
Feds don't get it together by then international work is a kick.

Old 03-06-2003, 07:08 PM
Geoff Kegerreis

I sure hope you're right Larry, I am on the federal bizopps bid list, and I see
all kinds of work out there in the PNW, but here in Michigan nothing, despite
living within 15 minutes of the Manistee Nat'l Forest. It seems the only projects
wanted by the forest service here are TSI work or the tops lobbed off red pines 17'
off the ground. I'm not sure whether they put restrictions on who can do the work
or not, but it sure doesn't require a degree to do that kind of mindless work, and
I doubt very much I can win anything using hourly service rates that compare with
private projects...

I'm looking forward to those stand exam and timber sale prep jobs. The second they
come out, I will be putting some reasonable figures into the bids and see what happens
of it.

Maybe then I can find out why in the hell they use 10 different colors of paint out in the
hardwoods around here scattered in all different directions - you should see it!
FUNKY!

Later,
Geoff Kegerreis

Old 04-06-2003, 10:44 AM
Joe Zorzin

At your age, you're probably into rap music which I just recently got into-
I suggest learn how to write and sing rap music. Then when you graduate into
the real world of forestry and find out how *&^%$# up it is- then you'll do
us all a favor by writing some good Eminem style "forestry rap". G I'm
working on some now and expect to be seen on MTV any day now.
--
Joe Zorzin
http://www.forestmeister.com

m...

Old 05-06-2003, 09:17 AM
Joe Zorzin

At your age, you're probably into rap music which I just recently got into-
I suggest learn how to write and sing rap music. Then when you graduate into
the real world of forestry and find out how *&^%$# up it is- then you'll do
us all a favor by writing some good Eminem style "forestry rap". G I'm
working on some now and expect to be seen on MTV any day now.
--
Joe Zorzin
http://www.forestmeister.com

"Dark Falken" wrote in message
m...
I will be going back to college in August to pursue a degree in Forestry.
I'd very much like to hear any advice that any of you might be willing to
offer. Thanks

Seeking advise on plants cuttings and suchlike Morarview Gardening 1 11-04-2012 04:58 AM
seeking advise about cistern [email protected] Gardening 2 27-07-2009 04:15 PM
seeking advise Tim Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 20-04-2003 06:16 AM
Old aluminium roof under pond liner,good idea or not? please advise John Ponds 4 29-01-2003 08:03 PM
Old aluminium roof on top of pond liner,good idea or not? please advise John Ponds 2 28-01-2003 06:00 PM