Old 05-06-2003, 02:20 PM
Frogleg

Default Remove 'bottom plate' from outdoor container?

On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 23:28:13 -0400, Brian E. Clark wrote:

My wife is going to growing cucumbers in a container. It's a plastic
container with one of those integrated saucer-pan things attached to the
bottom, though the saucer can be popped off if necessary.

My question is: do we keep the pan on the bottom or take it off? With the
pan in place, about 1-1/2" inches of water sits in the pot.

6 of one; half-dozen of the other. Long-term sitting in water promotes
root-rot and disease; no water makes plants die. :-) I have some
(smaller) things in saucer-attached containers, and just tip and empty
them in wet conditions. For larger plantings (and I have no experience
in cucumber-tipping), I'd remove the saucer and water often.