Old 05-06-2003, 03:44 PM
Duncan A. McRae

Default incadecent vs. luminecent

Absolutely. I use Home Depot fixtures. I picked up a Coralife tube from
the LFS, but at $30 for a 36" tube, that's likely the last time I bother. I
also picked up a "plant gro" bulb, I think from Canadian Tire, for $6. I
went to a metal halide site which said something to the effect of, "unless
you're growing coral, regular lights from the Home Depot are all you need."
I had 80w over a 38g tank (50w "normal" bulb, 30w Coralife), and that
produced considerable plant growth. I'm now down to 60w, growth has slowed
but is still satisfactory, pearling everyday and streams of gas from nicks &
cuts.

Remember, eventually you'll have TOO MUCH flora in your tank. I enjoy
pulling cuttings from the 38g into my other tanks, but once they're all
planted sufficiently I'm going to have to start pruning them, or reduce my
light. Personally, I'd rather save the money and avoid the work! If you
have multiple tanks, consider putting high light in one of them, and using
the cuttings from that tank to populate the other tanks. I have moderate
lighting in the rest (usually about 1.7-2wpg), which promotes moderate
growth to deal with feesh waste, but doesn't have me "mowing the lawn" to
find them.

Let your tastes be your guide, young Grasshopper. Have fun!

"Aku, Shapeshifting Master Of Darkness" wrote in message

Is there any way I can get this kind of lighting on the cheap? I can't
afford those lighting kits they have at my lfs. Hoping there would be a
Lowes or Home Depot solution to this since they are pretty inexpensive.