Old 05-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Françoise

Default Cutting Flowers

I planted Coreopsis grandiflora called Early Sunrise last summer. I start=
ed
them from seeds. They were successful and produced flowers for a long tim=
e.
Since I live in Canada, I was not sure how hardy they would be. So I
restarted some from seeds again because I liked the flowers. Some came ba=
ck
and some did not survived the winter this year. It was very cold and too
little snow. I would go every day or so and cut just the dead flowers. Th=
ey
may not be completely dead but they are not nice anymore. The next day th=
plants look as if there were at least as many flowers again. Mine are jus=
starting to grow now. Our spring was late this year. I suspect they will
flower in July and be still blooming in September. They are situated wher=
they get the morning sun till 10 AM. They seemed to be happy there. I hav=
plants that are not supposed to flower all summer and since I took over t=
he
deadheading they do flower all summer. My husband does not have the patie=
nce
for this; but he is thrill of the results.

Fran=E7oise.

Mark Anderson wrote:

I'm a little confused about when it is appropriate to cut flowers. In
particular, I planted what's called a "Tickseed" Coreaopsis Grandiflora=

(according to the label). It's a flowering perennial with golden flowe=

rs
and it's already flowering. Should I wait for the flower to wilt or
should I catch the flower in full bloom and cut it? I'd like to have
this thing bloom all summer long if possible. I have a few other
perennials like this too.

Also, is this what you've been referring to as "Deadheading?" It says =

in
the planting instructions: Deadheading spent blooms promotes flowering.=

So I assume that means cutting the dead flowers but I'm not sure and I'=

getting tired of learning through mistakes.