Old 05-06-2003, 07:32 AM
Mark Anderson

Default Cutting Flowers

I'm a little confused about when it is appropriate to cut flowers. In
particular, I planted what's called a "Tickseed" Coreaopsis Grandiflora
(according to the label). It's a flowering perennial with golden flowers
and it's already flowering. Should I wait for the flower to wilt or
should I catch the flower in full bloom and cut it? I'd like to have
this thing bloom all summer long if possible. I have a few other
perennials like this too.

Also, is this what you've been referring to as "Deadheading?" It says in
the planting instructions: Deadheading spent blooms promotes flowering.
So I assume that means cutting the dead flowers but I'm not sure and I'm
getting tired of learning through mistakes.

Old 05-06-2003, 12:20 PM
SugarChile

It is the nature of most perennials that they will not bloom all summer.
Your coreopsis will bloom once, rather exuberantly, then that's basically it
till next year. Deadheading does mean removing the spent flowers. It's
done to prevent the plant from putting energy into making seeds, and to tidy
up the look of the plant. With some perennials, deadheading will encourage
another, smaller flush of blossoms if conditions are good; your coreopsis
may throw a few more flowers, but nothing like the first bloom.

Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

.net...

Old 05-06-2003, 01:20 PM
Penny Morgan

I'm guessing that the only reason you want to cut the flowers is to keep it
blooming all summer. If that's the case, then deadheading is what you're
talking about. The term "deadheading" means removing the "dead flower
heads". This can be done on just about all flowers that have flowers that
brown up and stay on the plant. By doing this, you are 1) making the plant
look new and fresh without any dead flowers on it and 2) allowing the plant
to direct more energy into making new blooms. Even though the flowerheads
are dying off, the plant is still using energy to keep the flower alive,
thus wasting energy.

My first thought was that you wanted some cut flowers to bring into the
house in a vase of water. In that case, you would cut the flowers as
they're just beginning to open, so they will continue opening and will stay
fresh a longer period of time.

If you're deadheading, wait until they start to really wilt and then cut the
flower off starting at the base of the stem. In other words, follow the
stem to the bottom of the plant and cut it off. The only reason you would
do this is so you don't have a big brown stem sticking up out of the plant.
If you decide to deadhead other flowers, sometimes the stems have multiple
flowers on the stem. In that case, you would cut the brown flower off just
under the bloom to allow the other flowers on the stem to open. I hope I'm
not giving you too much information and confusing the heck out of you.

I don't know what zone you're in as far as heat is concerned, but I'm in
zone 7b (NC). My Early Sunrise Coreopsis used to bloom heavily in early
summer and then sort of fizzle out during the real heat of summer. They
sometimes would bloom more heavily in the fall once the weather cooled back
down again. Tickseed may be different, but I'm not familiar with growing it
yet. It is a beautiful flower and many people grow it in our region. I'm
just starting my new gardens in my house I moved to last fall, so I don't
have any at this time. So many things to plant, so little time. I've got a
huge hill on the back of my property just waiting to be planted. I also own
and operate a flower planting service, so my customers get first dibs on
planting. Hope this helps in your planting endeavors.

Good luck,

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina

Old 05-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Françoise

I planted Coreopsis grandiflora called Early Sunrise last summer. I start=
ed
them from seeds. They were successful and produced flowers for a long tim=
e.
Since I live in Canada, I was not sure how hardy they would be. So I
restarted some from seeds again because I liked the flowers. Some came ba=
ck
and some did not survived the winter this year. It was very cold and too
little snow. I would go every day or so and cut just the dead flowers. Th=
ey
may not be completely dead but they are not nice anymore. The next day th=
plants look as if there were at least as many flowers again. Mine are jus=
starting to grow now. Our spring was late this year. I suspect they will
flower in July and be still blooming in September. They are situated wher=
they get the morning sun till 10 AM. They seemed to be happy there. I hav=
plants that are not supposed to flower all summer and since I took over t=
he
deadheading they do flower all summer. My husband does not have the patie=
nce
for this; but he is thrill of the results.

Fran=E7oise.

Old 06-06-2003, 03:32 PM
Frogleg

Mark Anderson wrote:

I'm a little confused about when it is appropriate to cut flowers.

Someone here recently advised me about a plant that does better with
uncut flowers, but I can't remember what it is.

Reasons to cut flowers/remove blooms: tidyness -- spent flowers aren't
usually attractive; cut-and-come-again -- encouraging (some) plants to
produce new blooms; to bring indoors and enjoy in arrangements; to
prevent plants putting energy into seed production instead of new
flowers or nourishing (to the plant) foliage growth.

Reasons not to cut flowers: promoting seed growth for collection; in
the case of some plants, the seed-head stage is attractive and
interesting; if you want to make rose-hip jam, don't dead-head roses.

Should I wait for the flower to wilt or
should I catch the flower in full bloom and cut it?

Since you're presumably growing it for its colorful appearance in
landsacape, there's not much point in cutting/trimming until the
flowers begin to fade. Although, of course, if you wanted to bring it
in (I have no idea of its suitability as a 'cutting flower'), you'd
cut in the 'just opening' stage.

I'm
getting tired of learning through mistakes.

Get used to it. It'll keep happening. :-)

[IMG] code is On

Veggie Flowers - Cucumber-flowers.jpg (1/1) Donn Thorson Garden Photos 0 25-04-2009 11:43 AM
Various Flowers - Flowers-Sedum.jpg (1/1) Donn Thorson Garden Photos 0 05-04-2009 11:19 AM
Cutting Flowers binkx United Kingdom 5 28-11-2003 01:14 PM
cutting back on cutting back Cereoid-UR12- Gardening 0 23-09-2003 12:04 AM
? Recommended flowers for cutting Derek Carver United Kingdom 6 15-01-2003 06:02 PM