Old 05-06-2003, 04:56 PM
RFox

Default What is a Sun Star plant?

I'm in Southern California and I picked it up at Osh.
Maybe it's only a California thing?

I searched all over the Internet. And not knowing much about
gardening, found it difficult to comb through all the
different types of flowering plants.

Did you get a tag and care guide with your plant?
Mine says under "Continuing Care":

"Remove dead flower spikes at base. Indoors: Use well drained
potting mix. In USDA Zones 9 and 10 [I think this is west
coast?] Sun Star can be kept in the garden if protected from
frost. Transplant to garden in sandy loam after bloom in late
spring. When leaves die back, gradually withhold water and
allow plant to dry out. Avoid summer watering. Plants will
grow again with winter rains"

So I guess you keep it dry in the summer and water it
in the winter. I guess it's like an orchid where the
plant totally dies and regrows the following year.

(Dan) wrote in message . com...
Me too, I bought the Sun Star plant at Walmart and has been looking
for some information about this plant. I live in Sacramento, Ca. I
don't really know what to do with the plant in the winter.