Old 05-06-2003, 05:20 PM
RichardS

Default Vine weevil killer and bees

"wilks" wrote in message
om...
Hi

I've just bought some vine weevil killer, the sort that gets watered
onto the soil of pots. It says on the packet "harmful to bees, keep
away from bees".
Does this mean I can only use it inside? Or only on plants not in
flower and not attracting bees? Anyone know how it affects bees?

Thanks
Barbara

Is it the stuff that comes in yellow and green packets? I think I bought
some of that a while ago and was similarly concerned, so rang the
manufacturer (there is a helpline number on the packet).

Their answer, IIRC, was something like this:

1) it's systemic, so when it's absorbed it isn't a hazard to bees because
they don't come into contact with the plant's sap system

2) apply only to the soil, and do not get any on the foliage, where bees
might rest

3) apply at a time when bees are not active - ie late in the evening

I can't remember whether they said anything about whether application should
be avoided during flowering, but I don't think that they did.

Now, 1) may be a little questionable for some bees, because they "cheat" and
bite holes in the base of the flower to avoid crawling down it. I've read
about this behaviour, but have not observed it - it would take someone much
more knowledgeable about bees than me to confirm or deny whether this
happens with any UK species. If this ios the case then I don't know whether
the systemic nature of the insecticide would pose a problem.

I did keep an eye out, and didn't notice any unusually high incidence of
dead or ailing bees after application, but this is no guarantee that harm
was not done.

hope this helps
Richard

--