Old 05-06-2003, 03:56 PM
wilks

Default Vine weevil killer and bees

Hi

I've just bought some vine weevil killer, the sort that gets watered
onto the soil of pots. It says on the packet "harmful to bees, keep
away from bees".
Does this mean I can only use it inside? Or only on plants not in
flower and not attracting bees? Anyone know how it affects bees?

Thanks
Barbara
Old 05-06-2003, 05:20 PM
RichardS

"wilks" wrote in message
om...
Hi

I've just bought some vine weevil killer, the sort that gets watered
onto the soil of pots. It says on the packet "harmful to bees, keep
away from bees".
Does this mean I can only use it inside? Or only on plants not in
flower and not attracting bees? Anyone know how it affects bees?

Thanks
Barbara

Is it the stuff that comes in yellow and green packets? I think I bought
some of that a while ago and was similarly concerned, so rang the
manufacturer (there is a helpline number on the packet).

Their answer, IIRC, was something like this:

1) it's systemic, so when it's absorbed it isn't a hazard to bees because
they don't come into contact with the plant's sap system

2) apply only to the soil, and do not get any on the foliage, where bees
might rest

3) apply at a time when bees are not active - ie late in the evening

I can't remember whether they said anything about whether application should
be avoided during flowering, but I don't think that they did.

Now, 1) may be a little questionable for some bees, because they "cheat" and
bite holes in the base of the flower to avoid crawling down it. I've read
about this behaviour, but have not observed it - it would take someone much
more knowledgeable about bees than me to confirm or deny whether this
happens with any UK species. If this ios the case then I don't know whether
the systemic nature of the insecticide would pose a problem.

I did keep an eye out, and didn't notice any unusually high incidence of
dead or ailing bees after application, but this is no guarantee that harm
was not done.

hope this helps
Richard

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Old 05-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Kostas Kavoussanakis

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003, wilks wrote:

I've just bought some vine weevil killer, the sort that gets watered
onto the soil of pots. It says on the packet "harmful to bees, keep
away from bees".

I presume you are talking about Bio Provado. If yes, then their answer
is in the following URL (pg 3).

http://www.pbi.co.uk/tradeonly/resou...ovado12_99.pdf

This brings us nicely to

http://www.ento.vt.edu/Fruitfiles/HotPeach.html

Why is it allowed on fruit there and not in the UK? And is it allowed
to import fruit and veg treated with imidacloprid in the UK?

Kostas (most organic products in the UK supermarkets are from the US;
makes me wonder if they are a waste of money and time)
Old 05-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Liz

RichardS noaccess@invalid wrote in message
. ..

"wilks" wrote in message
om...
Hi

snip

Now, 1) may be a little questionable for some bees, because they "cheat"

and
bite holes in the base of the flower to avoid crawling down it. I've read
about this behaviour, but have not observed it - it would take someone

much
more knowledgeable about bees than me to confirm or deny whether this
happens with any UK species

I am an ignoramus re bees but there are neat holes drilled through all the
trumpets of my Russian comfrey and it's the bumble bees which do it!

liz

Old 06-06-2003, 12:56 AM
Emrys Davies

'Barbara',

Why not say what you are using, to give us a chance at trying to help?

If you are using Provado then this snippet from their site may be of
help:

"On the label it says `High risk to bees. Apply away from bees'.What
does this mean ?This means that if you pour Bio Provado onto a bee, then
it may cause harm. This is exactly same situation you will encounter
with almost all insecticides, which carry similar warningphrases.
However, in the case of Bio Provado, the product is not sprayed, it is
simply wateredonto the compost once * so there's no spray drift or wet
deposit on leaves and flowers topotentially cause harm to bees. Also,
significant research has shown that plants treated withBio Provado do
not pose a danger to foraging bees".

If you want to read the whole site, this is it:

http://tinyurl.com/dlfz

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 06-06-2003, 11:44 AM
wilks

" Emrys Davies" wrote in message ...
[...]

Yes, it was Bio Provado I wanted to use - sorry, I should have said.
Thanks to everyone who replied. You have been very helpful.

Best wishes
Barbara
Old 06-06-2003, 01:56 PM
Liz

Emrys Davies wrote in message
'Barbara',

Why not say what you are using, to give us a chance at trying to help?

If you are using Provado then this snippet from their site may be of
help:

"On the label it says `High risk to bees. Apply away from bees'.What
does this mean ?This means that if you pour Bio Provado onto a bee, then
it may cause harm. "

Heh heh - someone in Customer Relations is 'beeing' a bit sarcastic,
methinks

liz