Old 05-06-2003, 05:56 PM
Twobtold

Default birdbaths

From: "susabean"

We have been getting alerts regarding west nile virus, and we have been
advised against having freestanding bodies of water......empty gathered
rainwater from trashcan lids, etc. Does this apply to bird baths??? I have
3 in my gardens, and the birds do frequent them!! I would hate to get rid
of them if it wasn't necessary.

Any thoughts?

I have reacted to these alerts by buying 'Mosquito Dunks.' I do not have bird
baths but I do have a rain barrel. I just looked at the package and it lists
bird baths as a place to put it.
It costs $13 for 6 donut shaped rings that cover 100 sq. ft. for a month. i
guess you'd have to break off pieces for a bird bath. It's made by Summit in
Baltimore, MD
I would suggets you check that Bacillus thuringiensis (active ingredient)
is not harmful to birds.
HTH