Old 05-06-2003, 05:32 PM
susabean

Default birdbaths

We have been getting alerts regarding west nile virus, and we have been
advised against having freestanding bodies of water......empty gathered
rainwater from trashcan lids, etc. Does this apply to bird baths??? I have
3 in my gardens, and the birds do frequent them!! I would hate to get rid
of them if it wasn't necessary.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Blessings,
Tammy

--
The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom.
Henry Ward Beecher

Thank goodness I was never sent to school; it would have rubbed off some of
the originality.
Beatrix Potter

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.
William Butler Yeats

www.pictureparables.com

---

Old 05-06-2003, 05:56 PM
bthache

Normally, as long as your birdbaths are cleaned and refilled often (daily),
you shouldn't have a problem. It's standing water that that isn't touched
often that's the problem, giving mosquitoes time to rehatch.
--
Tammie
49° 27.2' N.

Old 05-06-2003, 05:56 PM
Trevise

"susabean" wrote in message
We have been getting alerts regarding west nile virus, and we have been
advised against having freestanding bodies of water......empty gathered
rainwater from trashcan lids, etc. Does this apply to bird baths??? I

have
3 in my gardens, and the birds do frequent them!! I would hate to get rid
of them if it wasn't necessary.

Any thoughts?

Sure - just keep them clean. Birds don't like nasty water any more than YOU
do. IF you find cleaning them to be a bother, you might want to invest in a
small fountain or aerator.

Regards

Old 06-06-2003, 03:44 PM
Frogleg

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003 12:24:50 -0400, "susabean"
wrote:

We have been getting alerts regarding west nile virus, and we have been
advised against having freestanding bodies of water......empty gathered
rainwater from trashcan lids, etc. Does this apply to bird baths??? I have
3 in my gardens, and the birds do frequent them!! I would hate to get rid
of them if it wasn't necessary.

If you're keeping them clean enough for birds, you're probably OK with
regard to mosquitoes. Just empty, clean, and refill every couple of
days. Mosquitoes take 2-4 days from egg to hatching. And I imagine
their ideal breeding spot *isn't* a dish constantly agitated by
bathing and drinking birds. The standard advice is against "standing"
water -- places where water is left undisturbed and accessible for
long periods of time. Rain barrels, upturned empty containers, etc.

Old 12-06-2003, 04:32 PM
dkat

You should be changing the water in the bird baths frequently enough that
mosquitoes are not a problem.... At least my bird baths get dirty enough
that they need refilled/cleaned every other day or so....

Old 12-06-2003, 09:20 PM
Punch

"dkat" wrote in message
You should be changing the water in the bird baths frequently enough that
mosquitoes are not a problem.... At least my bird baths get dirty enough
that they need refilled/cleaned every other day or so....

don't the birds eat the larvae?

punch

Old 12-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Phisherman

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 16:05:08 -0400, "Punch"
wrote:

"dkat" wrote in message
You should be changing the water in the bird baths frequently enough that
mosquitoes are not a problem.... At least my bird baths get dirty enough
that they need refilled/cleaned every other day or so....

don't the birds eat the larvae?

punch

I don't know about any birds that eat mosquito larvae (but there are
many fish that eat them.) Bird baths should be cleaned at least twice
a week.