Old 05-06-2003, 06:20 PM
Irene

Default list of perennials - seeking information

(Hillary Israeli) wrote in message ...

Hi, Hillary!

I wasn't really expecting to see a familiar name on my random lurking
here, so I just had to reply, even though I'm far from an expert
gardener!

linum perenne Blue (flax) [2003]

I've had some blue flax in my garden for about 4 years now. I love it
- but it does self-seed abundantly if you don't cut it back. If you
started it from seed, it may not bloom the first year, but after that
- look out! Ds also loves to play with the seed pods. I tend to cut
it back in early spring, so I have the seed pods for winter interest -
YMMV. It's also best for days when you are home - in my garden at
least, the blooms open after I leave for work, and blow away before I
get home. But at least I don't have to dead-head.

I also cut my lavender in the early spring, for winter interest. The
timing is when I realize that my grape hyacinths are coming up and
getting hidden by the lavender! I think mine is Munstead, though I'm
not positive, and I probably can't describe it well enough to help
your identification problem.

Good luck with your gardening!

Irene