Old 01-06-2003, 08:32 PM
Hillary Israeli

Default list of perennials - seeking information

OK, I know this is asking a lot. However, I have decided I need some help
here. What I have is a big garden with a lot of perennial plants. The ones
that I have put in I know the names of, and I have basic growing
information on them, but I just don't know which of these plants want to
be cut back ever, and if so, when. If anyone knows where I can go to find
out when/if to cut back a plant, or if anyone can comment on any of these
plants in particular, that would be great. I mean, basically, I know how
to plant the plants, and I seem to be doing ok with watering schedules.
I'm on top of the needed spraying and feeding of the roses. But beyond
that, I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing. Given that these
plants are surviving and for the most part looking good, I'm not too
worried, but I'd like to know how to do best by these guys. Also some
stuff does get pretty straggly but I am really hesitant to cut stuff back
if I'm not sure about it. So. My list is divided into herb type perennials
on top, and non-herbs on the bottom. The date of planting is in brackets
after the name of the plant. Oh, if anyone can answer my lavender
question, that would be great too.

BTW, I'm in zone 6 just outside of Philly (literally - I can walk to the
city line if I have to ), if anyone is curious to see what has
overwintered here successfully!

Thanks in advance for any help. Here's the list:

anthemis nobilis (chamomile) [2000]
thymus vulgaris [2000]
tricolor sage [2000]
rosmarinus officinalis "prostratus" [1995, moved in 2000]
thymus citriodorus (lemon thyme) [2000]
cinquefoil potentilla "melton fire" [2001]
Monarda fistulosa (bee-balm) [2001]
origanum x majoricum (italian oregano) [1998, moved in 2000]
greek oregano [2002]
variegated oregano [2003]
thymus serpyllum (mother-of-thyme) [2000]
thymus sp (woolly thyme) [2001]
stachys byzantina (Lanata) (lamb's ear or woolly betony) [2003]
salvia officinalis (sage) [2000]
achillea millefolium "cerise queen" (yarrow) [2003]
achillea millefolium "paprika" (yarrow) [2003]
achillea millefolium "apple blossom" (yarrow) [2003]
achillea ageratum "moonwalker" (yarrow) [2003]
achillea ptarmica "the pearl" (yarrow) [2003]
agastache rupestris (licorice plant, rock anise hyssop) [2003]
saponaria ocymoides (soapwort) [2000]
lavendula "munstead" (lavender) [2000]
lavendula x intermedia "provence (lavender) [2000]
****I need to know how to tell the lavenders apart, too! I didn't label my
plants, sigh.****
mentha piperita (peppermint) [2000]
melissa officinalis (lemon balm) [2000]
origanum majorana (sweet marjoram) [2001]
allium tuberosum (garlic chives) [2001]
artemisia dracunuculus "sativa" (french tarragon) [2001]

echinacea, unknown variety, purple coneflower taken from mom's garden [2001]
unknown type of yellow coneflower taken from mom-in-law's garden [2002]
scabiosa caucasica "fama blue" (pincushion flower) [2003]
scabiosa coumbaria "pink mist" (pincushion flower) [2003]
scabiosa "bluestone perennial house hybrid" (pincushion flower) [2003]
linum perenne Blue (flax) [2003]
carnation "garden spice mix" [2003]
galium odoratum (asperula)(sweet woodruff)[2002]
clematis viticella "etoile violette" [2000]
coreopsis [tickseed] "moonbeam" [2000]
sedum spurium "bronze carpet" (stonecrop) [2003]
dianthus deltoides "arctic fire" [2003]
dianthus "pixie" (cheddar pinks)[2001]
gaillardia "mandarin" (blanket flower)[2002]
chrysanthemum maximum "becky," (becky's shasta daisy)[2002]
phlox subulata "scarlet flame," (creeping phlox)[2002]
veronica repens (creeping speedwell)[2002]
geranium x cantabrigiense "karmina" (cranesbill) [2003]
aquilegia "McKana Giant Hybrids" (columbine) [2003]
aster x dumosus "wood's pink" (hardy aster) [2003]
aster laterifolius Coombe Fishacre (calico aster) [2003]
campanula glomerata Joan Elliott (clustered bellflower) [2003]
campanula persicifolia coerulea (peach leaf bellflower) [2003]
campanula port. resholt variety [2003]
heuchera x brizoides "firefly" (coral bells) [2003]
rumex sanguineus var.sanguineus (bloody sorrel) [2003]
salvia x superba "blue hill" [2003] [**one of these plants has WHITE
flowers]
"New Dawn" climbing rose [2002]
unidentified reddish pink blooming miniature rose [2001]
two unidentified rose bushes that came with the house [assumed 1997]
two red-blooming "groundcover" type roses [2001]

Old 02-06-2003, 03:56 AM
GrampysGurl

Try __The Well Tended Perennial Garden__, by Tracy Disabato-Aust. It's a
well written book that will answer many of your questions and give you a
strategy on how to care for you garden.

No affiliation, etc.

Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA
" OK, I know this is asking a lot. However, I have decided I need some help
here. What I have is a big garden with a lot of perennial plants. The ones
that I have put in I know the names of, and I have basic growing
information on them, but I just don't know which of these plants want to
be cut back ever, and if so, when. If anyone knows where I can go to find
out when/if to cut back a plant, or if anyone can comment on any of these
plants in particular, that would be great.

I also like Sunset for Northeastern gardens, it breaks it up into micro
climates.
Colleen
Zone 5 Connecticut