Old 05-06-2003, 08:08 PM
dave weil

Default Really bizarre

On 05 Jun 2003 18:56:31 GMT, in rec.gardens.roses you wrote:

dave weil writes:

I found it on a new blossom on Old Blush CL (which is starting to
rebloom again for the first time since the first flush). Anyway, the
blossom looked a little misshapen, which was to be expected after
being chomped on by a JB. But it didn't look right so I looked a
little closer. Well, guess what? The darned blossom has a cane growing
out of the center of it!

It's called proliferation. Some roses seem to be more suseptable to this than
others and there are people who believe it may be caused by excess nitrogen.
It's not really a problem, other than being ugly, and most people just prune
off the affected bud.
If you do a Google search for proliferation on roses, I'm sure you'll find some
information.

You learn something new every day!

Thanks! I'll take off the lead suit now.